Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Bicycle Built For Two





We are a big biking family. My husband, Ed, likes to ride his bike everywhere, so as a family, we follow wherever he leads. In recent years, Ed has pulled Sam on a bike trailer, but Sam was getting too big (and heavy!) for that. This year, we decided to purchase a co-pilot bike. Basically, it turns an adult bike into a tandem bike so that a young child can ride along on the back, and occasionally pedal when they feel like it ( at least that's what Ed tells me that Sam does! ha ha!)

Last weekend, Ed took Sam and me on a ten-mile ride through our town. We drove through the nature preserve, into neighborhoods that connect to Forest Park, over the White River and along a nature trail that meanders along the river and eventually crosses over Potters Bridge, a wooden covered bridge for pedestrains and bikes. Then we biked into downtown for some ice cream and back home again.

Whenever I see a tandem bike, I think of my sister Jenny. One summer, my parents decided that they'd like to take a short trip to visit some old neighbors that had moved to the exotic locale of Kokomo, Indiana. We were pre-teens and teens at that point, with the accompanying "we're bored" attitude that comes with the teen years. The family had a tandem bike, our big highlight of the trip! Jenny and I rode that thing every day. I think at one point, we took a sisters vow never to return to Indiana again. And now, here I am, living in Indiana. Funny how life can turn out, isn't it?

{recipe: Life Cycles (SU), Versafine onyx ink and prisma markers, circle card from Paper Source, pink pirouette cardstock, Making Memories papers, scallop scissors, felt flowers, brads}

No comments:

Post a Comment