Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Finished Project



I finished my cross-stitch project yesterday! (Giving myself a big pat on the back for a one-week start to finish!) I attached the finished project to a pillow. This little piece of needle art now rests on top of the bed in our guest bedroom. Sweet!

It has probably been about fifteen years since my last cross-stitch project, and it was really nice to pick up this lost hobby again. As I was stitching, it brought back so many memories of past projects and the people I had made them for...Christmas towels for the in-laws, Christmas stockings for my family's mantle, an angel project for Mom, the bread basket for Jan that still rests on a shelf in her kitchen while she herself rests with her savior in heaven. So many memories!

One thing that surprised me was the fact that I hadn't forgotten so many of the necessary skills. They were just dormant, waiting to be used again. The little things like dropping your needle occasionally so that the floss can untwist itself, or being careful to pull the threads in a certain direction to get them to lay properly. It brought to mind my first formal class. I was probably about ten years old. My Mom had a favorite shop in our small Michigan town called The Yarn Basket that sold just about everything you could think of for needle art projects. At the time, my mom was into spinning her own wool, as well as basket making and quilting. She signed me up for the cross-stitch class, and I took to it pretty quickly.

I think that it's a wonderful idea to expose our children to the art of crafting. I hope that these skills do not get lost on this generation. My mother recalls watching her brothers as they darned their own socks. I think that young men and women should have a set of useful skills that can serve them well in the future...sewing, yarn work, needle work, woodwork. So many "hobbies" that can serve a purpose and enrich our lives. I'm glad I rediscovered another hobby.

I'm really excited about my next cross-stitch project, and I have the feeling you will be, too. Pop back in to the cafe soon, and I'll serve up a cup of creme brulee coffee and a new creation!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm enjoying following your blog. I also enjoy cross stitch...getting harder to find XS items at the stores but can access tons of great charts and fabric online. Your pillow is so adorable...what will you work on next?
    Betty in Springfield, MA

    ReplyDelete