Sunday, May 24, 2009

Front Porch Reading





How's your Memorial Day weekend? In spite of the fact that it's race weekend here in Indy area (and boy, do you get tired of the Indy 500 in a hurry if you're not a big race fan!), things have been quiet here. Lots of time to sit on the front porch with a stitching project or a good book. I pulled out "Girlfriends Forever" by Susan Branch this week. It is such a fun book, filled with recipes, funny stories, great quotes, and her lovely drawings. I've admired Susan Branch and her artwork for more than ten years now. I'm always heartened by the fact that she never drew a thing in her life until she was thirty....no formal training, just a desire to capture a little bit of life with pencil and paper. It brings to mind one of my favorite quotes from George Eliot: "It is never too late to be who you might have been."

In the category of "You don't know what you've got until it's gone", I've been feeling very nostalgic for girlfriends this week. I recently hooked up with my old gal pals from St. Louis via Facebook (who knew there were so many folks there wanting to connect with each other?). I miss them so much! I only knew them for a short time (three years), but they knew me on a deeper level than some people I've been acquainted with my whole life. Friendships are so vital to good mental health. I haven't felt that connection with anyone here yet, and it makes me blue. I think I'll need to stop back to St. Louis for a visit this summer, just to be around women who get me. In the meantime, I'm going to pray that God brings me the fellowship I desperately crave right now.

Blessings on your holiday weekend!

p.s. Stop by Susan Branch's website for a little inspiration! www.susanbranch.com

1 comment:

  1. Mary - I feel just the way you do about girlfriends. We move frequently, as my husband is in the military. Sometimes we land somewhere and I find women to connect with quickly. Other times (like now) we are somewhere for a few years, and things just never click - it can definitely make you blue. My goal this summer is to find some interesting, stimulating new activities that get me out with some new people, and hopefully that will help. I wish we lived near each other - we could go to lunch or meet to craft together!

    ReplyDelete