Saturday, June 6, 2009

For the Boys



If there is one lament that I hear over and over again from card makers, it is this: "I have such a hard time making cards for the guys in my life."

It really isn't that difficult. Oh sure, we love to make cards for women using all our pretty ribbons and flowers and lace (oh my!). But making cards for men can be just as easy. Take a nature-inspired image, pick masculine colors, and use accents sparingly.

For the birthday card, I used a stamp from an old SU set called Lighthouse, and colored using prismacolor pencils and gamsol. I stamped the background paper in canvas, then punched the edge with a spiral punch. I added a little hemp twine ribbon, a sentiment (warm regards, SU), and finished it all off on River Rock cardstock. This card is going to my brother, George, who has a birthday on the 8th. George likes to take his sons and grandsons for guys weekends up to Ludington, Michigan for fishing. They have a beautiful lighthouse in Ludington, which is a town on the Lake Michigan shores.

For the father's day card, I used the same image, but changed the palette slightly, using kraft and baja breeze cardstock. I stamped the kraft background in Cheesecloth (SU) for a net effect, and added a nice nautical knot with some twine.

A Treat My Guys Love

Here's a treat my guys love. I like to have supplies on hand to make great ice cream sundaes, shakes and malts. Occasionally, we go into our small town to visit the quaint ice cream parlor. But sometimes, it's just as nice to enjoy a malt on the deck in the evening. This malt is a winner!

3-4 big scoops chocolate or vanilla ice cream
1 cup milk
4 T. Ovaltine mix
3-4 oreo cookies

Place Oreos in a ziplock bag, and crush using a rolling pin. Place ice cream, milk, malt mix in blender and mix to good consistency. Add crushed Oreos, mix some more, and serve. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment