Saturday, July 11, 2009

Summer Reading


Do you have a summer reading list? My pile is becoming HUGE! And these are only the nonfiction books. I have a list of fiction I'm hoping to find at the library this summer, too! Here are just a couple of books I'm currently working on:

Growing In Prayer/Women of Faith Series: This small paperback is the book that we're using in my summer bible study right now. It's perfect for us...no homework, just read and discuss and spark conversation. We meet at various locations around town once a week, and I always come away refreshed.

The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James: I'm reading this book in preparation for some bible study/book discussion time with my mom and sisters. It's a thought-provoking book that looks at the stories of Ruth and Naomi in a different light. Some thoughts I agree with, others not so much. But it should be good for conversation.

The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter and Matt Smay: My sister, Jenny, recommended this book (along with The Gospel of Ruth) after her bible study group read it. It's a very interesting book written by church planters who are trying to put an Acts model into mission. It talks about how to bring about the Kingdom of Heaven and incarnational living.

Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv: The subtitle is "Saving our children from nature-deficit disorder." Basically, it talks about how our society needs to unplug our children and get them back outdoors. Here's a sad quote from a fourth grader in the book: I like to play indoors better 'cause that's where all the electrical outlets are." Enough said!

I'm waiting patiently for the newest releases from some of my favorite authors, Alice Hoffman and Barbara Kingsolver. Does anyone have good fiction recommendations for me?

On a side note, the plant featured in the photo is called a plectranthus. It is an annual, and this variety is called "Cerveza 'n lime" (yes, that's beer for those of you who habla espanol!). When you brush it with your hand, it smells just like limes!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment