Friday, July 24, 2009

Using What I Have


When a new Stampin' Up catalog comes out, I flip through pages and make mental lists of what new products I'd love to have. And then, a few days later, reality sets in, and I start to knock things off my list.

Let's face it. We're living in uncertain times, and there are not that many of us who have a large disposable income. If you're like me, you weigh all your purchases now, trying to gauge what is a value, what is a need, and what is just a want. Do I really need another farm set if I have two already? Do I need new papers when I have piles of pretty papers that are still waiting to be used? Now that I've added needle art to my crafting, I also have to watch that I'm not exceeding my craft dollar budget!

Just last week, I took my sons to Target for some back-to-school and off to university shopping. We picked up some great buys, like $6 blue jeans. We also had to purchase items like dorm bedding for a Twin XL bed. After a whopper of a Target bill, I came home and wondered "Hmm. What can I sell off to compensate for the cost?" I listed Luke's old Woolrich bedding set that was no longer being used on Craigslist. By the next day, we had paid for Luke's new bedding with the sale.

Today's card was inspired by the card on the front of the new SU catalog that features the new stamp "Medallion". I liked the look, and decided that I could make something similar with the stamps and papers that I already own.

{recipe: Baroque, Label Classics, Country Blessings, Itty Bitty Backgrounds, Baroque Motifs, natural ivory cardstock, kiwi kiss ink and cardstock, riding hood red ink and cardstock, Bella Rose papers, black ink, large and small oval punches, circle punch,pearls}

So tell me...what ways have you found to curb your crafting budget?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary Rose,
    How funny; I do the same thing with each new SU! catalog! :-)

    I love the blessings card you made!

    I'm always looking to save money, especially when it comes to my craft purchases and clothing for work. For cardmaking supplies, I shop at Beverly's, Michael's and Jo-Ann's and luckily, they all take 40% coupons. Plus, you can use multiple coupons in one trip. I also shop Ebay and Etsy online. (I'm an Etsy seller, too, so I sell "used" stamp sets in my shop there.) I just heard that Goodwill is online, too, at: www.shopgoodwill.com. I've never used Craig's list, but it sounds like you had great success with it! Oh, and I shop the Dollar Tree store, too. Occasionally, they will have some decent ribbon and paper.
    Take care,
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete