Friday, September 25, 2009

Shipshewana Inspired: Farmtastic!



My drive to northern Indiana was so pastoral...there were combines in the fields, harvesting corn. I saw huge flatbed trucks loaded to the top with tomatoes. But the sight that always gets my heart fluttering? A beautiful barn. I saw unique round barns that had shingled roofs depicting farm animals, along with big old barns of every size, shape and color. This barn (above) was converted to shops in Middlebury. The wagon was loaded with flowers...so pretty!



This barn houses the D'Vine shops in Shipshewana, where they sell herbs, woolens, beads, and lots of unique items. We arrived at the shop just five minutes after closing, and we were heartbroken. This is always one of our favorite destinations. But guess what? The shop owner heard our plight, and she opened just for us! Isn't that sweet? The gardens surrounding this building are amazing as well.



Of course, I was inspired to come home and make a farm card. I tend to think of farm animals in the spring and summer months, but harvest is really the busy season on the farm. In my area of Indiana, there are lots of farm festivals this weekend, where you can pick your own apples and pumpkins, walk through a corn maze, or take a ride on the hay wagon. If it ever stops raining, I just may go and visit a farm this weekend!

{recipe: Farm Friends (SU), sentiment from The Saltbox Studio, Sweet Slumber paper, more mustard card stock, prismacolor pencils and markers, modern label punch, brads}


I thought I'd show a close up of the coloring detail. First, I laid color on with the Prisma markers, Then, I went back with Prismacolor pencils and added more color and shading. You can see how this makes the colors more vibrant, while at the same time giving the look more texture and depth. Yeah, it took a while, but I'm a gal that likes to color.

I hope your weekend is farmtastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment