Saturday, September 26, 2009

Shipshewana Inspired: A New Meditation


Last Saturday, when I was in the Shipshewana area, I woke up really early in the morning. 6:15 am, to be exact. I'm not really sure why, as I'm not known for being an early riser. I think it's because I was excited to spend a day with Mom and sisters, and I didn't want to waste any time with sleep. Come to think of it, maybe that's why we stayed up until nearly 2 in the morning that night, talking and solving all the world's problems!

I didn't want to bother everyone else, so I showered, dressed, and packed my bible and needle art and headed to the dining area. I opened my bible to Psalms, and I read scripture, then stitched and meditated on what I'd read. I turned the scripture into prayer, and just talked with God about what he'd told me and what was on my heart. I have to say, it felt like a really effective way to study God's word.

There are certain crafts that have a repetitive, meditative quality. I know that there are people who knit or crochet prayer shawls or cancer caps, and they pray for the people who will be blessed by their handiwork. Quilting and stitching have that same quality. When your hands are busy doing a task, your mind is free to do something else. Paper crafting...not so much. With that, you're constantly editing and rearranging and making choices.

I'm working on two projects right now. This project is a Lizzie Kate Boxer called Autumn Cottage. I love stitching the fall leaves and trees!

"May the favor of the Lord God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us- yes, establish the work of our hands." Psalm 90:17

No comments:

Post a Comment