Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Shipshewana Inspired: Something Nutty


Shipshewana is home to a rather large Amish population. The influence is felt everywhere...from the horse drawn buggies to the fabulous food and the hand crafted items. The Amish are well known for their quilts, and you'll see this motif everywhere. Here, it is on the side of the Davis Mercantile building.




And here is a view of a quilt garden from the balcony of our rooms at Das Dutchman Essenhaus in Middlebury.



My sister, Tina, picked up this adorable book at Lolly's Fabrics called Sew Sunny Homestyle by Tone Finnanger. Tina is a quilt artist, and whenever she finds a cool book, it's always filled with stuff that I love, too! While flipping through the pages, I found the most adorable idea for a pin cushion, and couldn't wait to try it when I got home. Here it is:


It's a pin cushion on top of a Ball jar! Isn't that fun? Here's a view of the top lid:



This was from a Homespun Elegance pattern that featured several different pin cushion patterns. I picked this one because it felt like fall. Now, the project would have been much cuter if I had filled the jar with acorns. The only problem is that I don't have an oak tree in my yard. But I do have a buckeye tree, so I filled the jar with buckeyes instead. (My apologies to all of you Michigan fans out there...GO BLUE!)

I'm thinking the possibilities for this idea are endless! You could fill a jar with buttons, pretty ribbons, floss, or better still, something edible! Wouldn't this make a sweet gift for the holidays?

1 comment: