Monday, September 7, 2009

Swapping Out

I started thinking about all of the things that I've been swapping out in the last year or two. When the economy began to tank and we started living leaner, I began to substitute one product or practice for another. For example:

Clinique makeup----> Olay and Drug store makeup
Bath and Body Works lotions and potions----> Suave shower gel and lotion
Haircuts at the salon----> Haircuts by Mom
Dress Shirts at the Dry Cleaners----> Washing, drying, and ironing shirts at home
Eating Out----> Eating In
Movies at the Theaters---->Movies from the Redbox
Clothes from Catalog Companies----> Clothes on sale from Target
Magazines from the News stands----> Magazines from the used book store
Books from the book store----> Books from the library
Buying stamp sets----> Buying single stamps
Buying trendy---->Buying classics that I love
Buying new----> Buying gently used
Buying Expensive Coffees----> Buying coffee syrups and making flavored coffees at home

As you can see, we've tried to become leaner in all areas of spending. After all, I'm still a stay-at-home mom with one son in half-day kindergarten, another in high school, and another in college with tuition payments. But the best part is that I don't feel deprived, I feel thrifty! I'm taking a common sense approach to life, and it feels good.

I will admit it...for quite a while, I was more of a craft collector than a true crafter. I spent too much money acquiring stuff, and not enough time using the stuff I had. I'm learning to pare down my collections and use the things I own and love. I have the feeling I'm going to save myself a LOT of money when my Stampin' Up demonstratorship is over. I will no longer feel compelled to buy because of my discount. Now, I can become more thoughtful with my purchases. After all, there are so many online sources for crafts these days, and I'm lucky to live just a short drive away from Archivers, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnn's.

Today's card is a simple creation...no layers, and minimum embellishment. It was inspired by my love of transferware china. I have a few pieces of red Staffordshire china that I cherish, but I'd love to add brown transferware to my collection. I've always loved those big turkey platters at Thanksgiving...such a classic. Hmmm....transferware china, or college tuition? I guess Luke wins this round.




{recipe: Avian Toile (SU), Fancy Flexible Phrases (SU), Designer Label stamp and punch (SU), Pure Luxury Ivory cardstock, Versafine sepia ink, ruby red/really rust/ld olive/ close to cocoa/more mustard inks for watercoloring, Vanilla Hodgepodge hardware, Prima flowers, pearl, chocolate satin ribbon}

Leave a comment and tell me what you've been swapping out these days!

1 comment:

  1. I have substituted sno-cones @ 2.50 a pop for my daughter & her friends for homemade kool-aid slushies! They like them just as well & they get to pick what flavor they want. We caught packets of kool-aid on sale for .10 cents a pack!

    Proactive for AcneFree brand @ Walmart. Walmart sells just the facial cleanser for 5.86 a bottle & I don't have to buy the other solutions that I won't use because they are too harsh!

    Instead of buying shaving cream I mix the almost empty shampoo & conditioner bottles into one & use that instead.

    I love finding ways to be frugal! Now I need to find winter clothing @ a reasonable price!

    ReplyDelete