Friday, October 30, 2009

Dr. Quinn, Where Are You?


Is there a doctor in the house? Yesterday, I made the six hour round trip drive to retrieve my sick college student for some recuperating time at home. Poor Luke has bronchitis and pharyngitis, but luckily, not the swine flu. I'm keeping him quarantined in his room, and plying him with hot tea, chicken noodle soup, and hard candies. He had to miss an overnight cross country meet in Lansing, Michigan this weekend, so he's a little bummed. I guess Luke got the trick instead of the treat this Halloween.

I made today's card for Gina K's October Release sketch challenge. There's been a theme with my cards this week...lots and lots of Get Well wishes!

{recipe: Many Wishes (Gina K), Basic Grey Mellow papers, soft suede ink and cardstock, pumpkin pie ink, pearls, scallop circle punch}




I was flipping through channels on the television the other day, and was so pleasantly surprised to find TGN, The Gospel Network. And what do they air every night at seven o'clock? One of my old favorites...Dr. Quinn, Medecine Woman!

It got me thinking...where are the wholesome family shows like Dr. Quinn? Now, if you want to find a decent program, you have to watch reruns that are ten to twenty years old.

I have pretty much given up on major network programs for the last several years. ABC? CBS? NBC? Forget it! But this season, ABC had aired a new series that looked a little intriguing. We watched the pilot and a few other episodes. But last week was the last episode of that program I'll watch. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on TV at the eight o'clock family viewing hour (seven o'clock if I'd lived in St. Louis!).

Just think...not so many years ago, Lucy and Desi had to sleep in separate twin beds! Now don't get me wrong...I'm not a prude. Dr. Quinn and Sully slept in the same bed together, and I don't have a problem with that...after all, they were married at the time of this episode. But when I'm watching a program with my husband and sons, and we all groan aloud at what's happening on the screen, then there's a problem.

We watch television as a family, and that's a good thing. We enjoy shows like Monk, Psyche, and Burn Notice on USA. And we're a little obsessed with Fringe on FOX right now. But I don't think we'll be venturing back to the major networks any time soon.

Philippians 4:8 says "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things."

They're few and far between these days, aren't they? But whenever I find a good thing, you'll bet that I'll think about it, and probably talk about it, too.

Blessings on your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful card and I hope your son gets better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the layout of this card and the beautiful color. TFS!

    ReplyDelete