Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Just Because


It's always a good idea to have a few "generic" cards on hand for all occasions. Lately, I've had to send out a few more Get Well cards. The flu seems to be spreading like wildfire. Back home in Michigan, they told me that many schools were simply closing for a week, just to try to contain the spread. I don't think our schools here in Indiana have seen the big attendance drop yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I know of two close friends who've tested positive for swine flu (or H1N1) now.

Yesterday, I was volunteering in Sam's school. As I was signing out at the secretary's desk, the school nurse was telling a father about his son's fever and headache symptoms. Aaack! I pumped the Germ-X on my hands, scrubbed them, and then held my breath as I backed out of the school building without touching any door handles (like a doctor who has scrubbed and is entering the OR!).

For the past several weeks, I've been preaching the "wash your hands" sermon to my family. Whenever we return home from anywhere, I immediately tell them all to go wash their hands. It's really one of our best defenses.

I'm also a big believer in boosting immunities. While my family is not big on taking vitamins, I make sure we eat our vitamins with the superfoods that boost immune resistance. Foods like berries, nuts, yogurt, spinach, tomatoes, beans, oats and other high fibers. Of course, taking a vitamin C every day and drinking some healthy teas like green tea or rooibos tea probably wouldn't hurt, either.

Okay, enough with the public service announcement! On to the card!

I made this card for the color challenge on Splitcoast Stampers today. Originally, I had planned on making this card a vertical card, but after playingf with it, I liked the horizontal better. I had to have these two stamp sets before I retired from my demo status at SU. They were pricey, and I'd put off buying them for that reason. But I think they'll come in handy, and I should get a fair amount of use from them.

{recipe: Define Your Life (SU), Defining Alphabet (SU), Dots and Daisies background stamp (SU), kraft cardstock, melon mambo cardstock/ink/polka ribbon, versafine onyx ink, Rockabilly paper, Martha Stewart punch, scallop edge punch}

Thanks for looking today! And remember...wash those hands!

2 comments:

  1. I love the pink and black combo. I hear you about the hand washing. I always tell my kids to wash their hands and I also carry Germ-X.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this card. The stamp set never caught my eye but I'm loving this! I work at an elementary school and think you are right to be concerned about illness. I wish everyone was taking the handwashing as seriously as you are. TFS!

    ReplyDelete