Sunday, November 1, 2009

All Saint's Day



Today is All Saint's Day, a day on the Christian church year when we remember the saints who have gone on before us. As I took communion this morning, I found myself thinking of the communion of saints. When I take communion, I am taking it with all of the saints who have gone on before me, and one day, I will have communion with them in heaven.

This year, my aunt and godmother, Rose, was added to the roll call of the saints. In 2007, the roll call included my sister-in-law Jan, my niece and god-daughter, Sarah, and my father. That was a tough year. Today in Sunday school class, we discussed John 16, when Jesus told his disciples that on this earth we will have trouble (guaranteed!), but to take heart, because he has overcome the world. This life we live is not an easy one, and God will sometimes give us a season of pruning so that we can bloom for him later on. It's a tough walk, this process of sanctification. But in the end, Jesus promises us in John 16 that it will be so worth it.

Like Sara Groves says in her song, "When the saints go marching in, I want to be one of them."

I made this card for another Gina K color challenge. I've been wanting to use this door image, and it seemed like a good time. The "faith" above the door is part of the saying inside the card that says " Prayer is the key to heaven, but faith unlocks the door."

I made a little awning to go over the door, and you can see it better in this photo:


I made the black ribbon a little shabby chic by heating it up with my embossing gun. It does a great job of shrinking and curling the ribbon for that vintage look.

{recipe: The Journey (Gina K. Designs), cranberry/gold/black cardstock, versafine onyx ink, prisma markers and pencils, oval punches, gold glitter pen, scallop edge punch}

Blessings to all of you saints in training!

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe." Eph. 1:18

1 comment: