Friday, November 27, 2009

The Holly and The Ivy


I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to holiday decorating. My style tends to lean to the country colonial Williamsburg style. I love to bring in natural elements that I've found in my yard, and turn them into holiday decor. This year, I've used boxwood, ivy, evergreens and red berries to make a few outdoor Christmas decorations.

My potting table (above) has been taken over by birds recently. They love to pop in and out of the bird houses, and they're constantly flying back and forth from the nearby cherry tree and bird bath to this little table tucked away on my front porch. I decided to give them another small feeding station here, and you'd think they've found buried treasure!



I turned this old red enamel teapot into a natural Christmas centerpiece for my birds.



I used this red wire side table for another display of holiday greenery. Don't you just love that checked twill ribbon? I found it at Logan's Antique Mall in downtown Noblesville last year. It's made by Primitives by Kathy, and it comes on a spool with ten yards of cotton ribbon.



My grapevine tree has been in storage for a few months. Ed and I are constantly arguing about this tree...it's the usual Form Over Function debate that we often hash out. I love the tree, and it looks so cute here. But the winter wind always whips around this corner of the house and knocks it over on a weekly basis. I haven't devised an anchoring method that works yet, but I'm still trying to come up with something short of bolting it to the concrete patio!

Ed wanted to put the chairs in storage, but I have to leave them out a bit longer. That shot of bright red against the red brick and green shutters just screams Christmas, don't you think? Again, form over function! Ed is all about practicality, and I'm all about pretty!

The weather turned c-c-c-cold yesterday! And wouldn't you know that's the day Ed decided to string the outdoor lights on our trees? Brrr! Poor Ed! He had to get up at 3 am to go to work and prepare for all of those Black Friday shoppers! I'll be working later this afternoon, when all of the madness has died down.

Happy Leftover Day, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I really like your new wallpaper...very Christmas chic...well worth the time investment!!

    ReplyDelete