Thursday, November 5, 2009

Recovery

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts, words, and prayers for our family during our son's recent bout with H1N1. Luke is doing much better now! As a matter of fact, he's back at school and making up for lost time.

Poor Luke! When I went down to his college to pick him up last week, I brought him home to his bedroom, where he would remain quarantined for many days. This is what we found on his bedroom door:




That's my husband's handiwork. He has quite the twisted sense of humor! As bad as he felt that day, Luke did still laugh when he saw the sign.

Here are a few things we learned from the doctor this week:

* The H1N1 test is very fickle, and only 60% accurate. At this point, they're skipping the test and using a very scientific formula: "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's probably a duck."

*Infected individuals can shed the virus contagions for 5-7 days after first symptoms appear. A patient is most contagious in the first 24-48 hours.

*The biggest risk with H1N1 is bronchial that leads to pneumonia. My doctor was very happy to hear that we'd gone to the ER for the chest X ray.

*Masks are a good idea, especially for the sick patient if they're near others who are uninfected.

*Isolation of patient is a key to stopping spread.

*Hand washing and obsessive cleaning practices are probably the biggest key to containing the virus.

Yesterday, I spent the day on HAZMAT duty...I washed all of Luke's bed linens, aired his comforter outside, opened bedroom windows, sprayed Lysol over his mattress and pillows, and wiped all surfaces in his room with Lysol wipes. Then I moved on to his bathroom, where I gave every surface a lot of disinfectant and elbow grease. At this point, I'm feeling pretty confident that we stopped the illness from spreading to any other family members. Whew!

I made Luke a card today. I think I'll put it in the mail with his Biohazard sign. I'm sure he'll laugh at that one! I made this card for the Ways to Use It challenge on Splitcoast Stampers. The challenge was to use stickers in your card. I'm not a big user of stickers, but I love the stickers from Cosmo Cricket!




{recipe: Puns from the Past (SU), versafine onyx ink, crushed curry cardstock and polka ribbon, Amuse gingham papers, Rockabilly paper (SU), button brads (Making Memories), Cosmo Cricket Early Bird stickers, corner rounder punch}

I have to tell you, I am one of the world's slowest stampers. This card actually took about two hours to make. I know...there's not much here that looks like it should consume 120 minutes of my time! But I started with a different layout, other elements, and had yellow, red, and blue mixed with black. I gave up in disgust at one point and went to take my shower. That's when I knew the problem...wrong color palette. It came to me that it should be black and yellow only. After getting dressed, I went back downstairs, took away the other colors and elements, and streamlined it to this final product. Now I'm finally happy. Not sure what I'll do with all the other half-assembled attempts...hmm, maybe try a different card tomorrow? Maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment