Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Something Old, Something New


Two weeks ago, when I went to Archivers to purchase my new Texture Boutique embossing machine, I spent an hour just browsing through the store. I love to see what new creations the paper companies come up with for the holidays. This year, companies like Cosmo Cricket and Basic Grey have embraced what I call the "Strawberry Shortcake Does Christmas" look. Everything is pink and girly! Pink penguins! Pink Eskimos! Pink reindeer!

In a house with three boys, we don't do the pink aisle at the toy store.

I left the store with no paper. Gasp! Sacre Bleu! No paper? It was shocking.

And then I came home and looked at the mounds of paper I already have for the holidays. Cosmo Cricket's Wonderland papers. Basic Grey's Dasher and Fruitcake collections. Last year's Imaginesce papers. Plenty of papers to keep me happy through the holidays!

I made today's card for the sketch challenge at SCS. I knew I wanted to use my new stamps from Gina K, so I decided to pair them with some old papers from Basic Grey's Dasher papers. I also knew I wanted to attach a felt snowflake to the card, but what brad to use? When I found the square rhinestone, I knew it would be perfect...set at an angle, just like the squares in this sketch.

{recipe: Vintage Borders stamp set (Gina K Designs), Basic Grey Dasher papers, sage shadow and white cardstock, soft suede ink, felt snowflake and rhinestone brad from SU}

I'm trying something new today! I'm interviewing for a holiday job! I haven't had a real sit-down interview in over ten years. Most of my past jobs came to me word of mouth, and employers approached me with the "Hey, we have an opening at our school!" line. But sitting down to tell someone why you're perfect for the job? Hmmm, that's new! My husband's advice was "No self-deprecation! Sell yourself!" Apparently, he knows me too well.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Love the colors here and the way you used the border stamp. Best of luck at the interview. Hope it is something you will enjoy!

    ReplyDelete