Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful For Healing Hands


"Love is a fruit in season at all times and within reach of every hand." -Mother Teresa

Thankful week has been so much fun. It has been a great way to count my blessings and really give thought to those people and things for which I'm so thankful.

Today, I am thankful for healing hands...for those doctors, nurses, and medical professionals who bring care and healing to so many people. I'm thankful for pharmaceutical companies that employ the brightest minds to research and test and market new and amazing drugs for the entire world.

I am most especially thankful for my new doctor here in Indiana, who finally diagnosed and treated a disease that I believe I've had for many years. When I look back, I think of how many years I suffered through aching joints and pain, especially in my hands, which would cramp and swell. Winters and cold weather were horrible for my joints. Two of my past doctors were certain I had rheumatoid arthritis, only to have test results come back negative each time. It wasn't until last year, when I found a new doctor to treat another unexplained rash, that I finally found the answer...lyme disease.

I am one of only two patients in my doctor's entire practice that has Lyme disease, but God bless, him, he does research every year to keep abreast of new treatments. I am feeling so much better now, and my aching joints seem to be a thing of the past.

Now, I am able to craft without pain, and even take up my past hobby of needle art after a long absence.

Today's card is a bold color combo for me...purple and orange? But somehow, it works.

{recipe: Fruitful Harvest (Gina K Designs), Karen Foster Design paper, rich razzleberry ink and cardstock, dusty durango ink and cardstock, soft suede ink and cardstock, gold organdy ribbon, gold cord}

Did I mention how thankful I am that my dear friend, Beth, is on the road to recovery? Her doctors have brought her healing after her appendicitis, and I'm praying that her incisions will heal and she'll feel better than ever soon.


Here's the latest cross stitch pattern I'm working on. This is a design from Erica Michaels Designs. I've tweaked the colors a bit, and I think I may even add a charm or two to this one. Hmm, I may have to pop over to Zionsville and visit Persnickety Stitchers today!

Official Pie Day

Is it just me, or is the day before Thanksgiving the official pie baking day? I love pie, and pumpkin pie happens to be my son, John's favorite. But pie crusts can be tricky things. If it's too warm in the house, or if the humidity isn't just right, you can end up with a tough dough that isn't even good for Playdoh! This happened to me last year, and after trying unsuccessfully to roll out my Crisco crust, I gave up and threw the whole thing in the garbage. But never fear! My trusty Pat-in-the-Pan Amish Pie Crust from Marcia Adams (Cooking in Quilt Country) saved the day! It is super easy and delicious. I am giving it to you here, just in case your dough becomes uncooperative today.

Pat-In-The-Pan Pie Crust

1 1/2 c. plus 3 T all purpose flour
1 1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 T. cold milk

Place flour, sugar, and salt in pie pan, mix with fingers until blended. In a measuring cup, combine oil and milk and beat with fork until creamy. Pour all at once over flour mixture. Mix w/ fork until mix is completely moistened. Pat dough with fingers, first up sides of pie plate, then across bottom. Flute edges. Ready to be filled. If filling later, or need prebaked crust, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prick surface of pastry with fork and bake fifteen minutes, checking often and pricking more if needed.
*For 10 inch pan, use 2 c. flour, 2 t. sugar, 1 t. salt, 2/3 c. vegetable oil, 3 T. milk.

Happy Pie Day, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to have found your blog! And thanks for the pumpkin pie recipe. I like to eat pumpkin pie for breakfast loaded with cool whip. I firmly believe it's a healthy thing, fruit group, dairy group, bread group!

    ReplyDelete