Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful For Those Who Serve and Protect


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope you have a wonderful day full of lasting memories with family and friends.

Today is the last day of my Thankful Week, but in no way will I stop being thankful. On the contrary! I think that when you pause to count your blessings, more and more blessings are brought to mind, and you realize that gratitude should be an ongoing process.

Today, I am so thankful for those who serve and protect our country, both at home and abroad. I am truly humbled by the men and women who voluntarily devote their lives to the protection of our U.S. Constitution and to our freedoms.

I think of our service people often, especially over the holidays, when many are so far from home. It must be so hard to miss those celebrations with family and friends.

When my nephew was serving in Afghanistan, I tried to remember him every month with cards, letters, and care packages filled with mundane and trivial things...chapstick, hand wipes, beef jerky, candy, cookies, bar soap, toothpaste, and lots and lots of paperback novels. I covered him with stuff, but most importantly, covered him in prayer. My church has a similar ministry called Wings of Mercy that sends care packages to our troops every month. It's so important to let our service people know that they are not forgotten.

Today, you may notice a very large widget added to the right of my blog. Let's Say Thanks is a program from Xerox that sends our thankful wishes to our troops. When you click on the site, you can pick a card, add a message, and Xerox will send that card to one of our service men or women. Isn't that wonderful? You can find more info here as well:

http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1280.html

Today's featured card was sent to me by my mother-in-law. Yes, it's a Hallmark card, but I just love it! The colors, the design, everything about it! I think I may have to try and stamped version of this card one day soon.

Blessings on your holiday!

"Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song." Psalm 95:2

No comments:

Post a Comment