Friday, November 20, 2009

Thankful for Work


Today, I was listening to Focus on the Family in the car while I was running errands. Dr. Dobson was mentioning that, when asked, school children are confused about who we're supposed to give thanks to on Thanksgiving. They think that the pilgrims were thankful to the Native American indians on that first Thanksgiving for giving them corn. Yes, a nice thought. But the pilgrims were thankful to God for supplying their needs and bringing them help when they were on the brink of starvation. In our society, we're often thankful "for" something without remembering to be thankful "to" our Creator. It's all about an attitude of gratitude.

Today, I am thankful for our jobs. My husband's job, which more than adequately supplies all our family's needs, and my new job, which gives us a little holiday money and a chance for me to get out of the house for a few hours each week. We're really blessed. At a time when so many people are without jobs in this country, I know how blessed we truly are. In 2007, my husband was downsized from his position and out of work for six months. It was a difficult situation, but God saw us through.

My nineteen year old son has not been able to find a job since we left St. Louis. It's hard for him because unemployment in his age bracket is closer to twenty to twenty five percent, by some estimates. Thankfully, he had saved a lot of money from his working days in St. Louis, and he's been able to live frugally from those savings. I'm glad that we can provide him with necessities like college tuition, food, clothing. But at this point, he still does not have his own car.

I know of two other family members who are out of work right now. I add them to my prayers. If you have a friend or family member who is unemployed or experiencing difficult financial times, let's add them to a prayer list here. I will update it with news and requests, and we can cover these people with prayer.

Today, I made a Thanksgiving card for the Limited Supply Challenge on SCS. The challenge was to make a long and narrow card. I think this pocket card fits the challenge nicely.

{recipe: Harvest of Friendship (SU), kraft and choc. chip cardstock, Afternoon Tea papers, versafine sepia ink, prisma markers, stitched grosgrain ribbon}



Today, I am also thankful for the five deer who visited our woods this afternoon. It was such a treat to watch them scamper and forage for berries. This is not the best photo, but you can just make out the deer's tail right above the picket. Usually, they're so well camouflaged back in the trees, and you can't see them well until they move. John and I had fun spotting them today.

I'm praying that your weekend gives you lots of wonderful things to be thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment