Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Clean Slate


Don't you love this time of year? When one year ends, I can look back and see what was accomplished, what didn't get done, and all the things that God did get done in my life. And then I can anticipate a new year filled with new mission and purpose.

Yesterday, I decided to embrace the "Clean Slate" by truly cleaning my craft studio from top to bottom. Before I began, there were piles of stamp sets all over the floor, and piles of paper and cardstock and accessories on the desk. I kid you not, you could not see the wood surface of the desk! But now, it is a thing of beauty!



This year, I want to add more journalling and meditation to my daily disciplines. I made this cute journal by covering a composition book with pretty Amy Butler papers.



This fun paper is even flocked for added texture!



Groovy! I often find myself with notes I've written myself on little pieces of paper and collected in my purse or shoved in my Bible. Every Sunday, I write insightful notes from the Pastor's sermon. I'll also jot down things that have come to me during Bible study, or thoughts God has placed on my heart. Now, I can keep them in a bound book. I think I'll add my own doodles, writing, scripture verses, stamping, whatever tickles my fancy.


Hopefully, I'll be able to add some insights from here, my new Bible! I'm so excited about this purchase! I wanted to buy one last January, but decided to wait. I found this like new, never used copy of the One Year Chronological Bible at my local used book store for $6! (Wow, whoever owned this and never used it was surely missing out!) I'm so excited for January 1st to arrive so that I can begin this new reading of God's Word.

In the past year, I have found that God is leading me to ponder various aspects of His character. This year, I reflected on the truth that God is Sovereign, and what this meant for me personally. In the year ahead, I can feel that God is prodding me to reflect on His mercy. Here's what Priscilla Shirer has to say about this practice of God revealing Himself to us:

"When God instructs us to do something based on our knowledge of Him, He moves our relationship from mental to experiential. This is why He so passionately desires to reveal Himself to us through His Word. God doesn't just want us to hear about Him, but to see and experience him in our lives. We move from knowledge about God to experience with God when He reveals a characteristic; we then experience that characteristic as we step out in obedience to Him." (from Discerning the Voice of God)

By the way, a lot of you may know Patter Cross from Splitcoast Stampers, where she's known as "identicaltriplets". She has an awesome blog called Triple The Scraps, where she showcases her faith-based journalling, scrapbooking, and paper crafting. She also hosts a lot of faith-based challenges. Check her out!

Today's Word was part of our Bible study discussion last week, and has become so very important in my life this year. Here it is:

"Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him." Proverbs 30:5

May you find comfort this day in the word, and in the Word of God made flesh who dwelt among us.

2 comments:

  1. Mary- It truly is that time of year. I spent time yesterday cleaning my sewing/office/yoga/craft room and while my desktop is not as clean as yours (yet) it is definitely an improvement. It feels good to accomplish something. I am re-reading my One Year Bible again this year and planning on concentrating on just the Old Testament. I found that I missed my daily reading last year. I know that you will enjoy yours also. Talk to you soon. Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room looks so nice! Maybe you could post some close up pics so the rest of us can get some organizing ideas. (I know I can use all the help I can get!)

    ReplyDelete