Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Little Behind


What is it about this time of year that gets us so frazzled? This week, I feel like a dog chasing after my own tail! In the past few days, I've had two Christmas programs to attend, one birthday to finish shopping for (my dear sweet husband's!), an out of town wedding to prepare and pack for, and craft projects that still aren't finished!



In the end, you just have to look at your problem, put a fancy glittery wreath on it (like Sam did here with our dog), smile at it and remind yourself by repeating several times out loud "It's the most wonderful time of the year!" And if that doesn't work, a nap is always a good idea.



Are you tired of seeing Christmas crafts? I know that I am! Today, I'm showcasing a card I made for yesterday's sketch challenge...a birthday card! Go figure! I'm sending this card to my mother-in-law, very belatedly! She had a birthday on December 6th, and while she got her present from us ( an automatic remote car starter...a very practical thing for a woman who lives in northern Ohio and doesn't have a warm and toasty garage to keep her car in!), she never received a birthday card. Time to remedy this situation!

I found this pretty paper in my stash, unopened for the last six or seven years! I purchased it from the Longaberger Homestead in Ohio. Some of you basket collectors may recognize this pattern as one of Longaberger's old fabric offerings. I thought it made a lovely, vintage addition to this card.

{recipe: A Rose is a Rose (SU), Teeny Tiny Wishes (SU), so saffron cardstock, purely pomegranate cardstock and ink, old olive ink, pom. wide stain ribbon, oval punch, scallop oval punch}

Speaking of pomegranates (wasn't this a lovely color from Stampin' Up?), this fruit is now available in grocery stores. It's a good source of vitamin C and full of antioxidants. My mother used to cut up this fruit, scoop out the juicy kernels, and serve it to us...yummy! When Sam was just two, I thought I'd let him try some, too. I cut it up, scooped out the fruit (warning! best done after soaking in water, otherwise you end up with red juice splatterings everywhere, and your kitchen looks like the scene of a horror movie!), and served it to him in a pretty bowl.

Sam took a bite of the pomegranate, made a face, and said "Too fusty!"

I laugh every time I think of it! We're not sure what "fusty" meant in this situation, but it has now become a family joke, and we often describe things as being "too fusty".

I think this week has the potential to become "too fusty"! But I'll just keep smiling and reminding myself "It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

No comments:

Post a Comment