Saturday, December 12, 2009

Memories of the Holidays


I've been missing my Dad this week. Of course, there's not a day that goes by that I don't miss him or think of him, but at Christmas I can't help but think of Dad. Dad put the Merry in Christmas. He loved to shop for presents, listen to Christmas tunes (Perry Como, Nat King Cole, and Bing Crosby), and most of all, he loved to gather his family together to celebrate. When I see the tree, I'm reminded of all those times Dad had to string up the lights, and how he would curse the entire time, puffing away on his pipe in frustration.


My sister, Tina, gave me this amazing candle last week. The fragrance? Tobacco! Now I know that some of you would think that's disgusting, but this candle smells like my Dad's Borkhum Riff pipe tobacco. Did you know that smell is a very strong trigger of memory? When I smell this candle burning, it's like Dad is "piping" in the room. The candle comes from a local candlemaker called Mood Elements. The description on the box says "A deep rich tobacco scent with undertones of tonka bean. Caramelized sugar adds sweetness to create a perfect balance. Overstuffed leather chair and smoking jacket sold separately." Isn't that great?

Last night, my neighbor across the street popped over for a few minutes. I asked about his sister, who was dying of cancer, and told him that she'd been in my prayers. He told me the prayers were answered, as his sister went to her heavenly home. We talked of cancer and hospice and how hard the loss of a loved one is over the holidays. He began to tear up, and I teared up. Then he was crying, and I was crying. And before you knew it, we were hugging with sniffling noses. It was a humbling experience. I was reminded once again that there are a lot of hurting people in this broken world, and that's exactly why God sent his son on Christmas Day. There is pain, but there is also blessing.



I finished another stitching project this week! This project comes from the pattern by Erica Micahels Designs in the Just Cross Stitch Christmas issue. I did alter this project a bit. For starters, I used a much larger count for the linen ( I think it's 28 count), and a slightly darker shade as well. Then I altered the floss colors a bit, substituting some of the DMC colors that I didn't have with some of the Weeks Dye Works colors that I already own. Finally, the original pattern showed the swirls at the top in a different color and direction. I changed them slightly and added french knot "berries" to make it look a bit like holly. Cute, eh? This project features three different stitches...cross stitch, tent stitch, and back stitch, along with french knots. Now that I've finished the stitching, I'll need to figure out how to finish the project...turn it into a pillow? A door know hanger? Or simply frame it? Hmm. We'll see.

God bless us, every one!

1 comment:

  1. Mary Rose,

    I'm the owner of Mood Elements. I want to thank you for the wonderful comments that you've posted here about our Tobacco candle. We are so pleased that you are enjoying it this holiday season.

    This is a great blog that you have created and the variety of links that you have on all of your pages is very entertaining and informative. I also love the holiday theme that you have designed.

    Here's wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday season.

    Lisa Pattison

    ReplyDelete