Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Year in Review

Happy New Year's Eve, everyone! I've been away from blogging for a few days, but it's given me a little time to contemplate and look back on 2009. Wow! This was a really productive year for our family! I thought I would try to come up with five things I accomplished this year, and instead, I came up with an even dozen...one for every month! Here's how my year shaped up:

THINGS I ACCOMPLISHED IN 2009

1.) I lost 25 pounds! This was a major achievement for me, as I've never been a person known for her will power. But after reading about nutrition and the power of proper foods to boost immunities, I took a good, hard look at my eating habits. Beginning in January, I started adding more high fiber foods and lean proteins into my daily diet. This meant adding in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. I also cut out restaurant eating, and eliminated a lot of sugars and high carb foods (goodbye cookies and pizza!). I've made some really positive lifestyle changes, and I feel better than ever!

2.) I sent a son to college. What an all-consuming project this was! Luke's first semester has been great, and he's hoping to transfer to a college a bit closer to home in the fall of 2010. I'm now starting the process all over again with my son John, who will be taking his SAT next month and visiting potential college choices this spring!

3.) I sent a son to kindergarten! Sam's first year of school has been fun, and I enjoy helping in his class once a week.

4.) I found a new church! But I take no credit for this one, as it was an answer to prayers. God really did lead us to this church, and we are so happy there! Praise you, Lord!

5.) I took up needle arts again after more than a fifteen year absence. I'm really enjoying my new hobby, and it's a wonderful and relaxing craft that I can take with me anywhere.

6.) I discovered the joys of purging, thanks to Craigslist and local consignment shops. It's a wonderful feeling to let go of items that aren't needed and let them be a blessing to someone else. My home is not a cluttered, crowded mess. Ed built some amazing storage shelves in our basement, where we keep things in neat rubber totes. We look at all items and if we don't need it, we sell it our give it away.

7.) I began a new Bible study with the women at my new church. Not only am I learning a lot about listening to God's voice (thank you, Priscilla Shirer!), but I'm also growing close to a lovely group of women. The fellowship has been such a blessing.

8.) I began new ministries this year. It's nice to find purpose for my days again.

9.) I started a fitness plan, thanks to my overweight dog. Maggie began her doggie boot camp this fall, and part of her routine is walking every other day. She's doing so well with this that we may begin walking every day now. She's getting fit, and consequently, so am I!

10.) I got a job! I really enjoy working part time. I love working in a service related industry, and the women that I work with are just delightful. It's such a fun environment that I nearly forget the bonus of getting a paycheck to do it. By some miracle, I've managed to stay on after the Christmas shopping season, and I'm hoping to be useful, put in a few hours each week and remain on the payroll.

11.) I learned to budget this year! My husband and I took a look at our finances (thanks to the addition of college tuition payments!) and came up with a plan to help us stay out of debt and become better at saving. You've heard of some diets that require you to write down every food that you eat, right? Well, I now keep a careful account of every dollar I spend each month. I know where the money goes, and I know how much I can spend on food, clothing, crafts, coffees, etc. My little budget book stays in my purse at all times, and if a receipt goes into my wallet, it gets marked in the book, too.

12.) I dropped my demonstratorship at Stampin' Up! ( see number 11...ha ha!). SU is a great company, and they offer a wonderful product. But in the end, I tired of the business aspects and the impulse buying. Now, I have the freedom to purchase from other companies, and I only buy in limited amounts. I'm learning to use what I have and become more creative in the process. Today's card is one example!





I made this card using a newer SU set, but pairing it with a lot of old product.

{recipe: Snow Buddies (SU), sentiments from The Saltbox Studio, baja breeze cardstock and ink, choc. chip cardstock and ink, Ski Slope papers, versafine onyx ink, prisma markers, red grosgrain ribbon, felt snowflake, white snowflake brad (Making Memories), Souffle white pen}

I got the inspiration for this card from the book "A Card A Day" by PaperCrafts magazine.


I ordered this book last month, and it is really great! Not only does it have 365 cards for inspiration, but it also has a section on card sketches, color combos, patterns, tools, and organization.

I know that I've been blessed in 2009. I hope that 2010 is a year filled with many blessings for you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment