Monday, January 11, 2010

Cupcake Crazy

I have to be honest with you. I'm not a big fan of cupcakes. I'm generally not a lover of frosting, in particular. I must have passed this down through my family, because Sam is not a fan of it, either. He actually requested brownies for his birthday cake last year! At one time, I thought I was the only one who didn't like frosting. But then one day, I was at a women's retreat where they had served cake. I had turned the cake on its side on the plate so that I could eat just the cake portion and avoid the gooey sweet frosting. I looked over at my British cousin, Kathy, and she was doing the same thing!

Perhaps it was my many years as a preschool teacher that instilled my dislike of cupcakes. At the time, it seemed to be the universally accepted item that parents sent to their child's classroom to celebrate birthdays and holidays. I began to dread those days for the frosting mess that would invariably ensue. These days, schools discourage the little sugar-loaded sweets in favor of healthy, individually wrapped snack foods.

Wherever you sit in the cupcake camp, there's one thing that cannot be debated. 2009 was definitely the year of the cupcake! You saw them everywhere! Cupcakes on fabric, cupcakes on papers, cupcakes on cards, cupcakes handcrafted out of wool. The little sugary sweet had been elevated to art form!

I recently found a cupcake that I fell in love with! "I want one!" I said to my husband the first time I saw it. Unfortunately, it is attached to a vintage Airstream camper. Here it is:


The Cupcake Camper is parked at the outdoor lifestyle mall where I work, and it is just too stinkin' cute! The windows are covered in pink and chocolate polka dot curtains, and the pink staircase leads to the shop window, where you can order your very own specialty cupcake concoction.



I ask you this: Have you ever seen anything cuter in your life? Now I want to own a vintage Airstream and take all of my family vacations in it! (It has to beat the shack we rented last summer!)

You can read up on the Cupcake Camper here:


cupcake camper


Today's card was inspired by the Cupcake Camper! I made this card for the Gina K sketch challenge. I received some new stamps from Gina's end-of-the-year special. The sentiment comes from the set "Eclectic Summer Sayings". I added a little bling to the sprinkles on the cupcakes, too!


{recipe: Eclectic Summer Sayings (Gina K Designs), My Cuppa Joe (Gina K), Basic Grey Nook and Pantry papers, choc. chip and pink pirouette cardstock, versafine sepia ink, flower brads (making memories), prisma markers, Stickles}

So tell me...if 2009 was the year of the cupcake, what do you predict for the theme of 2010?

2 comments:

  1. This is too cute- i would have to try one. Next visit- please take me there! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must agree that cupcakes are more delighful to look at than to eat. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete