Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Treasure Hunt



On a recent thread on SCS, many stampers were leaving comments on some of their favorite paper companies...Basic Grey, Cosmo Cricket, and the like. Allistamps reminded me of another favorite that I haven't used in a while...Amy Butler. Amy is better known in the fabric world, where she makes some lovely patterns to coordinate with her lovely fabrics. But Amy Butler also makes some papers, stamps and accessories through K and Company.

I decided to find some of my papers and make an Amy Butler inspired card. First, I found some note cards, and while I liked the pattern, they were a little insubstantial in their weight. So I trimmed the note card down and attached it to a 4 1/4 by 5 1/2 inch piece of my favorite Pure Luxury heavyweight ivory ( I sponged the edges with some Certainly Celery ink). Now one of the cool things about these notecards is that they have a lovely coordinating color on the inside. So I let a little color peek out of the right hand side by trimming the top flap portion of the note card just a bit.

Then, I pulled out some old Amy Butler clear stamps...and man, I must not have used them in a while because they were really clinging to that sheet of acetate! After carefully peeling it away, I inked the sentiment in blue bayou and stamped it over a label that I'd stamped in soft sky ink. I fancied-up the edges with corner punches and attached it all to another rectangle of certainly celery cardstock.

Then I got to thinking...I could really use some sort of leaf. And I looked up on my inspiration board and found this leaf from Island Blossoms (Making Memories). Hmm...still needed something. A brad, maybe? And then I remembered the dew drops I haven't used in ages. I found those and added a few to the corners.

I decided to turn this into a buckle card. I popped up the sentiment with Stampin' Dimensionals, attached the buckle to the back of the note card, and then slid the buckle portion under the sentiment. I used a piece of blue bayou textured cardstock because it is a little softer and more flexible...just right for a buckle. You can see it as it is opened here:


A non-traditional Valentine card, but nice colors for the man in my life. It's always fun having a treasure hunt in my own stamp studio. I just never know what products I'll find squirreled away in a drawer or cubby!

{recipe: Amy Butler notecards and clear stamps (K and Co.), Frames with a Flourish (SU), Pure Luxury ivory, certainly celery ink and cardstock, blue bayou ink and textured cardstock, leaf (making memories), dew drops, corner punch}

No comments:

Post a Comment