Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What's Cookin', America?


What's cookin', America? Well, according to recent statistics, not you!

Last week, I read an article regarding recent efforts by the government to crack down on the restaurant industry for its cooking practices and high calorie menu items. Now, I'll be the first person to say this: I think the government has better things to do with their time. But if this government wants to fund health care for everyone, it has to look at the fact that there are so many overweight Americans, and obesity is a factor in most health-related issues. It seems obvious at this point that personal accountability should play a major role, but apparently we can't control ourselves, so the government will control menus for us instead. sigh! Don't get me started! :)

Here's the shocking statistic: 48% of the average American's monthly food budgets are spent in restaurants. When I read that statistic, my jaw dropped open. Now to come up with an average, that means that there are a lot of folks out there who probably spend more like 75 % of their food budgets at restaurants to balance out the folks like me who eat at home.

In essence, that means that half the money that Americans spend on food is given to a restaurant, where they are oblivious to the ingredients, fat, calories, and nutrition of those meals ...and we wonder why we're a nation of fat fatties?

Last year, I began to put two major practices into my daily disciplines.

First, I studied nutrition and began a program of sensible eating. After reading the Eat This, Not That books, I discovered that restaurants cannot be trusted to provide nutritious low fat/low calorie meals. (And if you think that a restaurant like Paneras/Bread Co. that serves yummy soups, salads, and sandwiches is exempt, think again! It may taste great, but it's not great for you!) I realized that if I wanted to control what went into my mouth, that meant giving up restaurant food. Restaurants are now reserved for special occasions, not to be used as a convenience tool.

Second, I began to budget in earnest. I kept track of where every dollar I spent was going. We were paying for college tuition on one salary, and we needed to become lean and mean. That meant that pricey restaurant food was out, and we'd be dining at Chez Mom's on a daily basis. If you're a follower of Dave Ramsey, then you already know that restaurants are a HUGE budget buster. Dave is also a big believer of meal planning to avoid a dozen impulse trips to the grocery store that may cause us to overspend. Dave likes to say that during tough times, you've got to go on a diet of "beans and rice, rice and beans". In other words, no steak for dinner every night.

Well, one year later and here's where I am. I lost twenty five pounds by cooking my own food, and I keep to my budget every month.

If you are not a person that cooks, may I suggest some fabulous cookbooks? You cannot go wrong with the wonderful cookbooks from Gooseberry Patch. These are real recipes submitted by normal, everyday people like you and me. The items in the recipes are things you probably already have in your pantry. And while all the recipes in the books may not be the essence of healthy eating, I've found that with a few modifications, you can turn almost every recipe into something good for your family.



The smart ladies at Gooseberry Patch recently released Dinners on a Dime. It seems that everyone is talking about ways to save money these days, and looking at your family food budget is a great place to start!

I have an awesome recipe to share today. This is my own creation, and I call it Lentil Potato Stew. Lentils are a very economical addition to a recipe, and this is not only cheap to fix, but highly nutritious as well!

2-3 T. olive oil
1 med. onion chopped
1-2 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 carrots, chopped
1 T. Italian Herbs
1 c. dry lentils, rinsed
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can diced tomatoes, Italian style
4 c. chicken broth(low fat or low sodium optional)
1 T. parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Saute vegetables in olive oil until tender. Add herbs, then lentils and potatoes, and then tomatoes and broth. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes to one hour. Top with freshly grated parmesan and enjoy!

Now, on to the card recipe! I made today's creation for the Splitcoast Sketch challenge. This card is a bit bigger than the norm at 5 inches by 7 inches. I just needed a tad more space to fit it all in! I used stamps from Gooseberry Patch for the bottom border, and the papers are from an old stash of K and Company's Wild Saffron line.

{recipe: sentiment from Amuse, cooking stamps from Gooseberry Patch, K and Company's Wild Saffron papers, Versafine sepia ink, corner rounder and circle punch (to make corner cutouts), Pure Luxury Kraft cardstock, felt flowers from American Crafts, copper brad, kraft taffeta ribbon (SU)}

So tell me, what's for dinner?

1 comment: