Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Disciplined Life


Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the season of Lent. Many churches don't officially recognize this season on the church calendar, but I like to participate in the ancient practice of Lent. Lent is, after all, a discipline, much like fasting. We've all heard from someone who "gave up" something for Lent. But really, the purpose of this practice is just to make us mindful.

One of my New Year's resolutions is to practice a more disciplined life. Now, don't get me wrong. I think a little spontaneity and whimsy is good for the soul. But I have also observed that productive, accomplished people tend to be disciplined.

Yesterday, I was listening to Moody radio and heard a commentator say that 90 percent of the people who attempt to read the Bible in one year from cover to cover fail at some point during that year. (For this reason, he was recommending a 90 day program instead). I have made Bible reading a part of my daily discipline. And more than six weeks later, I can report that I'm enjoying this practice every night before I go to bed.



Last week, I added a new discipline to my daily routine. I am now taking a pack of vitamins every day. My sister, Sue, works with someone at the hospital who has been doing some research on Lyme Disease. She sent me some medical articles related to this, and the report recommended vitamin packs to help boost immunity. My chronic form of Lyme Disease has been recurring every spring for the past several years, so I am trying my best to keep it in remission and stay healthy.



The report also mentioned the benefits of green tea. Now, as you know, I am a coffee lovin' kinda gal, but I do enjoy tea, also. I used to be a tea drinker that added a LOT of sugar and half and half. Now, I have learned to drink herbal and green teas straight up, without sweetener or creamer. I swear, I have a tea for every occasion! A Bedtime tea, an Echinacea tea, a mood lifting tea, an antioxidant tea. In these cold winter months, it's nice to have a warm cup to hold all day long!

Yogi teas have some of the silliest messages on their little tea tags...it's like reading a Chinese fortune cookie! Last night, my tea bag told me "If you unconsciously live a conscious life, you can never be poor."

Huh?

I have to wonder who spent their days getting paid to make up these "words of wisdom."

I'm glad that there is one source of truth and wisdom that I can always turn to. And I plan on turning to it every night, cover to cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment