Friday, February 5, 2010

Random Thoughts for Friday


It pains me to have to say this, but I think that this time, Phil got it right. That's Phil, a.k.a. Puxatawney Phil, a.k.a. the Groundhog. We're getting hammered with snow today, just like the rest of the country. It may be white outside, but inside I'm thinking of spring.


I decided to purchase some flowers for spring crafting. They were so sweet that I decided to put them on display in this little teacup. Oh, and what's in those tins next to the teacup? Funny you should ask! I also picked up some paper Prima flowers. And here they are:


Oooh, the possibilities! I think I'll be doing some crafting tonight. What else is there to do when it looks like this outside?


The good news is that work called and told me not to bother coming in today. No customers were braving the winter storm just to come in to see the latest spring fashions that they won't be able to wear for many more months. Huh! Go figure!

It was a great afternoon to sit in front of the television with a caramel latte and watch old movies. I got to see one of my all-time favorites..."How To Marry A Millionaire." Oh, those fabulous fashions! I've always admired Doris Day, and Lauren Bacall is just too cool for words. I think that all these years later, they are still such beautiful women!



Speaking of women, did you know that today is Wear Red for Women's Heart Health Day? Heart Disease is still the leading cause of death among women, and in many cases, it is also preventable. Today, I wore this red felted rosebud pin on my winter jacket. It is made by Baabaazuzu from a felted wool sweater, and cut into pieces to form the flower and leaves. This flower must have been a zipper front cardigan in another life. Isn't this just adorable? It's a nice cheery addition to a wardrobe when the weather looks like this:


But enough about snow! Let's see some more flowers!



The store where I work (when it isn't snowing) often uses lovely props in their displays and then when they don't need them any more, they offer them up to the store associates. A few weeks ago, I snagged a bunch of beautiful birch trees that are more than six feet tall! We used a few in John's winter bedroom, and we're going to use the rest when we paint and decorate the basement.

Last weekend, I popped into the store with John to check my schedule, and they had these cool wooden barrel buckets up for grabs. I took six of them in various sizes. They even have wrought iron rings and handles! How cool is that? I think they'll look great in the house and in the garden this summer. For now, I took one of the smaller sizes and put a potted daisy inside. It's a nice cheerful addition to the kitchen.



And speaking of the kitchen, we've finally decided on a color for the kitchen great room. After consulting with friends (thanks, Beth!) and polling all of the boys AND their friends last weekend, we decided on this nice neutral warm brown called Stepping Stones. It met all the criteria...it goes well with the kitchen cabinets, it coordinates nicely with the sage counter tops, and it provided enough contrast to the light pine floors. It also matches well with the other colors downstairs:



I think we'll probably begin painting this weekend. My dear sweet painter is not too keen on the fact that we'll have to prime over all of that dark green, but if we want a true color, that's just what we'll have to do. It's a good thing hubby has the entire week off because it'll probably take that long to get the job done!

But tonight, we'll rest in front of the fire with a nice movie and stay warm.

Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment