Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Vintage Blue and Yellow


Blue and yellow is such a classic color combination. It brings to mind blue skies and sunshine. I used this color combination when redecorating my master bedroom. The walls are cream with just a hint of yellow, and the bedding has a lovely aqua and cream.


I really loved this Fieldcrest bedding when I found it at Target. It has a masculine stripe and a feminine damask pattern, and it pulled together the colors from the master bathroom and the master bedroom. Perfect!



I used this color combo to make a vintage card. I love the look of something a little vintage and shabby chic, but I'm not always certain how to execute it on a card. I think this comes close. The key is to add a lot of texture and embellishment, with a little ribbon or lace to make it frilly. For this card, I used buttons, pearls and ribbon with some patterned papers.

{recipe: Fancy Flexible Phrases (SU), French Script (SU), Bella Birds papers, kraft and ivory cardstock, barely banana and so saffron cardstock for flower, Versafine sepia ink, scallop circle punches, small oval punch, modern label punch, pearls, kraft ribbon, button}



Have you noticed how handmade flowers are all the rage right now? I made this flower using several layers of scallops. First, I stamped the cardstock with French Script, then punched, then sponged edges. I clipped "petals" into one of the scallops and bent them forward, adhering some with glue dots to make them pop out.

I think I'll try a ribbon flower this week. My sister, Tina, taught us how to make ribbon flowers years ago, and it seems to be very popular in papercrafting these days. Hey Tina, do you think you could pop over to Indy and make a few ribbon flowers with me this week? :)

Thanks for popping into the cafe today!

2 comments: