Saturday, March 6, 2010

Paper, Scissors, Death


I received the nicest comment on my blog this week from author Joanna Campbell Slan. We had been chatting on Splitcoast Stampers about books that had a crafty theme, particularly murder mysteries in the British cozy style. I'd mentioned the Home Crafting series from Cricket McRae that I'd read and blogged about last summer. As it turns out, Joanna has the same publisher as Cricket, and her mysteries have a papercrafting theme.

I went out and picked up a copy of her book, "Paper, Scissors, Death" yesterday. I am already a third of the way through it, and it has been so much fun to read! The mystery takes place in St. Louis (my former residence), and let me tell you, Joanna has completely nailed it! From the rich Clayton and Ladue ladies of St. Louis County to the sweltering heat of the St. Louis climate. So many familiar stomping grounds are named in the book...St. Louis Bread Company (or Breadco, as we called it), Babler State Park, even the campground at Eureka! My favorite part was when she mentions how everyone in that area asks the question "Where did you go to high school?" That was so funny, and so true! In that area, your high school told everything about you, from your religion to your social status to your parent's income level.

I'm a native Michigander, so I always felt a little out of the loop there. I'll never forget when I tried to make friends with other "moms" on the playgrounds, only to find out that I'd been conversing all morning with nannies. Talk about being out of one's element! I remember crying all the way home after those days!

Looking back, I think I had a love/hate relationship with that town. I loved my church and the natural beauty of the area...those fabulous rivers and limestone cliffs and forests. I hated the heat of the summers, but I loved the early springs and long, lingering autumns. I loved the fabulous school systems, but hated exposing my kids to so much privilege and wealth on a daily basis. I loved discovering new shops and restaurants, but hated the expensive cost of living there. But in the end, I remember St. Louis fondly because of the people...God brought some wonderful people in to my life there.

Back in those days, I was a columnist for a suburban paper in the St. Louis area. I'd written a column on vanity plates, and came up with the witty headline "Vanity, Thy Name is License Plate". The editor loved it and used it.

Well, a week later, the St. Louis Post Dispatch (the parent paper of the one I wrote for) ran a front page headline for a link to an online feature. Yep, you guessed it: "Vanity, Thy Name is License Plate". No credit to me or my column whatsoever.

I held up the paper that morning and told my husband "Honey, look! I was plagiarized by a Pulitzer-prize winning newspaper!" It was a proud moment. (And by the way, who would've thought a column like that could get so much hate mail?)

Sadly, I don't write columns anymore (heck, who can get a job in print these days?), but this has reminded me to get back to writing. It really is my passion.

Joanna has a new book being released soon. I'll make sure to mention it when it's available. If you need a fun read, go pick up a copy of this book today!

2 comments:

  1. Mary Rose, girlfriend, can we talk? I nailed it? OMG. You know EXACTLY what I was writing about. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at your post. Well, like I said...we'll have to talk. Thanks for the "shout out" about Paper, Scissors, Death. My third book in the series is about the Veiled Prophet. (I can just imagine your reaction to that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Agatha Chrisy and would like to find the time to read these mysteries based on a favorite hobby. Thanks for writing this post.

    ReplyDelete