Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sunshine and Rain



My Favorite Things had posted a challenge to create a card using the theme "Rainy Days". I could have used the little Pure Innocence girl holding the umbrella, but that seemed too easy. Instead, I decided to use this image of the little girl dancing in the rain. (The original stamp from the set Sunshinny Day has the little girl chasing a butterfly, so I just omitted the butterfly).

When I was a little girl, my German grandmother had a saying for those times when the sun was shining and it was still raining. She would say something like "Der teufel steckt kitzeln seine grosmutter." Loosely translated, it means "The devil is tickling his grandmother." Isn't that funny?

I found this translation in German using a Google search. More than likely, it is in High German, and my Grosmama spoke Low German. There may be some differences, but I think it's close.

(Last year, I was at a Sunday school class at church with a table of much older congregation members. Somehow, the conversation came to a point where I had to insert a few German phrases that I knew from my upbringing. One of the sweet gray-haired ladies giggled when she heard me speak, and said "That's low German!" I'm not entirely certain if High and Low German refers to dialects of certain regions, or if "Low German" was spoken by the farm-folks of my heritage!)



Here's the inside of the card, and this is a close-up of the sentiment:



What could be more magical than dancing in the rain under a rainbow?

{recipe: Sunshinny Day (Pure Innocence-MFT stamps), Fairy Girl (PI-MFT), Spring Sprouts (Sara Williams for MFT), paper from Cosmo Cricket's The Boyfriend, summer sun cardstock, bayou blue cardstock and ink, versafine onyx ink, prisma markers, amuse twinkles}

1 comment: