Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dandelions and Winners

Good morning, friends! So sorry for the long absence. I took an unplanned weekend trip to see my college son run in his last official track meet at my alma mater, the University of Toledo. I was able to spend the entire weekend with Luke, visiting family in Michigan and just catching up. Good quality time! Luke comes home for the summer this week. He's leaving behind his life at one college to transfer to another this fall.



But on to the important matter at hand! The giveaway! No, I didn't forget. I'm just running a little slowly this week as I try to catch up. Sam, my official prize picker, drew a name from the bowl, and here is who he picked to win the autographed copy of the newest novel from Joanna Campbell Slan:



Marcia L. had this to say:

"Thank you so very much for the invitation to visit your blog. I already like what I see, and next I will be visiting the Recessionista site you mentioned.
I love all type of paper crafting, and one of my favorite authors is Mary Higgins Clark. "

Marcia, you win the book! Congratulations!

I also forgot to mention that I had some really cute autographed book marks that Joanna sent me. So I decided to let Sam draw another name for our second place prize, and he picked:



The famous Lorie R! Lorie, I'll send you the cute bookmark this week! Congrats! (By the way, Lorie is famous in our house for her FABULOUS recipe for cutout cookies. Seriously, Lorie, they're the best!)



I found a few minutes between loads of laundry to make a card yesterday for the Clean and Simple Challenge. The theme: May Flowers or flowers for Mom. Is there a mom in the Midwest who doesn't associate hand-picked bouquets with dandelions? I've always made a fuss over these gifts of love from my boys. I even have special small glass vases to showcase them on my windowsill. Well, the other day, my little Sam told me "Mom, there's a house in our neighborhood that you would just love. The yard is COVERED in dandelions!" Isn't that funny? My husband is trying to get rid of the flowers, and Sam is trying to bring me home more!



I added a splash of sparkly copper Glimmer Mist to this card, but it's very hard to see in the photos. Looks much better in real life.

{recipe: Stamps from Gina K Design, crushed curry/basic black cardstock, versafine onyx ink, kraft pure luxury cardstock, crushed curry ribbon, copper glimmer mist}

Thanks for visiting the cafe today!

2 comments:

  1. Marcia L. said that Mary Higgins Clark is one of her favorite authors, so I wanted to tell all of you that I actually met MHC last weekend at Malice Domestic, a big mystery lovers conference held each year in DC. She was walking down the hallway on the arm of her daughter (I presume that was her daughter because they looked alike). I was passing out chocolates, so I screwed up my courage and offered her one.

    "Sweets to the sweet?" asked Mary Higgins Clark

    "No," I said, "Homage to the Queen."

    And I meant every word of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Rose I received my book today, and the beautiful a book mark. Once again thank you for the opportunity.
    Joanna, I think that it so cool that you got to meet "The Queen" in person... just think that one day you too will be given homage for your writing...
    Guess what I'm on my way to do? Yup, digging into my book.

    ReplyDelete