Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Morning Shabby Chic

Happy Rainy Monday Morning! One of my friends on Facebook asked the question: If April showers bring May flowers, what do May showers bring? Some folks answered "Mushrooms". Others claimed Strawberries". But if you're a Midwesterner, there's only one answer that comes to mind: mosquitoes!

Will it ever stop raining this month? I was so hoping to get some gardening done, but the weather is not cooperating. Guess I'll have to stay indoors and craft instead.

Today's card is for the Clean and Simple challenge to make a shabby chic card. I think this card qualifies...subtle, subdued colors, sweet vintage patterns, and a little lace and pearl to make us think of a Grandma's wardrobe. This stamp set is an oldie but a goodie, circa 1998. I've always loved Nellie the Nest Lady and will never part with her. Sometimes she can be tricky...her image is on the large-ish side, and she often requires a lot of coloring. Today, I simplified her by merely stamping on some pretty patterned paper.




{recipe: Nellie the Nest Lady (SU), Kraft card stock, versafine onyx ink, Basic Grey's Nook and Pantry papers, lace, pearl, chipboard, circle punch}

When I was putting this card together, I wanted a real shabby chic embellishment, maybe something that looked like an old brooch. Well, I couldn't find anything in my stash that would do, so I made an embellishment instead.


Using a circle punch, I punched out a circle from patterned paper. Then, I adhered it to a circle of chipboard. I added the pearl to the center, and then attached it to a bow made of lace. I like the effect...just what the card needed.

These rainy days make me want to grab a cup of coffee (Vanilla Latte, I think) and take up a forgotten stitching project. Hope your day is productive, too!

1 comment: