Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Of Company, Crafts, and Collectibles


I have company visiting this week. My mother-in-law, Brooke, has been in town since Saturday. We've had some bad storms and rainy weather nearly every day. But yesterday, the weather improved long enough for us to do some small town shopping. Yesterday, we popped into the historic town of Zionsville, Indiana, and today we visited the shops in my downtown Noblesville. Mom Brooke likes to visit antique shops and quirky little vintage boutiques, just like me. So with coffee in hand, we perused the local offerings.

Did you know that Golden books are a hot collectible? Yes, I am speaking of the cheap cardboard books with golden bindings of our youth that featured lots of Disney titles. We found Golden books that were going for $15!

In my hometown in Michigan, I used to be actively involved in the Friends chapter of our local library. every year we would have a used book sale, and every year collectors would snag up those Golden books. I, on the other hand, preferred these Golden nature books, and whenever I would find a new title, I'd grab it! These were published in the early fifties. Just to give you some perspective, the book on space has a chapter on rockets that states " Given time and money for research, a rocket capable of reaching the moon will certainly be made." Isn't that a hoot?


This Birds guide is one of my favorites. It has lovely illustrations of the birds of North America. I checked out the book just this morning after looking out at my feeder and seeing a bluebird. It was so sweet! What a fun sight to see over coffee in the morning. My mother-in-law was thrilled, too.




I made this card for today's SCS sketch challenge. It really reminds me of the look and feel of my Golden Birds book.

{recipe: Filigree (SU), Refuge and Strength (SU), Kraft Pure Luxury card stock, soft suede ink and cardstock, Webster's Pages papers, copper nail heads (Gina K)}

Blessings on your day!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Mary, I like to look through the Golden Books for my favorite children's book illustrator -Eloise Wilkins. She made such sweet, but believable works of art. I found a new one I hadn't seen while on vacation. This was a new (unused) book. Cost $5. Worth every penny and the boys love me reading it to them.

    ReplyDelete