Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cut, Crop and Die




I am enjoying a lazy week at the lake, just sun, water, fresh air, and a few of my favorite past times to keep me entertained.

I grabbed a stack of books for beach reading, and I knew that "Cut, Crop and Die" by Joanna Campbell Slan would be the first on my list. I've been meaning to get to this one all summer. Joanna was so kind and generous to send me book number three ("Photo Snap Shot") to read and review, but I hadn't read book number two yet, and could not read them out of order (heaven forbid!).

I LOVE the Scrap-n-Craft mysteries featuring amateur detective Kiki Lowenstein! Kiki is such a fun character, and I know that all of you crafters would appreciate her zeal for the papercrafting industry. This is a fast-paced and fun read, a real page turner that you can't put down. Paper crafting, mystery, and a love triangle. What's not to love? Go to the book store and buy all three books. The crazy cast of characters continues in all three books, and you'll want to read the entire series in order, just like me.

Joanna has included more of my favorite St. Louis hot spots, like Missouri Botanical Gardens. (I have a cute photo of my teenage son, sitting on a park bench next to the statue of Henry Shaw, with his arm around him asking "Henry, how are you today?") Sometimes, I try to guess what "fictional" spot is based on a real location. Dick Blick's Art Supply in Ladue? Julie at the Ink Spot in Kirkwood? Hmmm...could it be?

The murderous villain in this novel was truly terrifying! Joanna, girlfriend, we need to talk...again!

Kiki's scrapbooking tips are interspersed throughout the chapters. I haven't made a paper bag scrapbook in quite a while, but now I think I'll have to make another one soon, thanks to Kiki!

For more info on this fun mystery series, you can visit Joanna's website and even sign up for her newsletter! Here's the link:

www.joannaslan.com

I'll be starting book number three this week! So tell me, what fun "beach books" are you reading this summer?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you would consider it a "fun beach book" but I'm reading The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. LOVE IT!!! I highly recommend it.

    Debbie S

    ReplyDelete