Saturday, July 3, 2010

MIA: My Mojo

Something strange has happened to me in the last six weeks. I have lost my mojo. Mojo. You know, the inspiration and motivation and desire to be creative, explore and seize the day. Well, let's just say that the seize has taken a siesta.

Ever since coming home from my "mountain top" experience at the Beth Moore Living Proof Live event, I've kinda sunk into a funk. It's been a combination of factors:

*Mother-in-law came to visit for two weeks, and that's a lot of entertaining and housekeeping duty right there.

*I had wisdom tooth troubles, but luckily have avoided the need to get them pulled thus far.

*Church has left me uninspired and I'm not in any Bible studies right now.

*Work hours have been sporadic.

*Social life has been non-existent.

*Shuttling the kids to the pool and various activities just trying to keep them entertained.

*Missing family and friends and wishing I could see them more often.

It all adds up to an existential crisis. Even cardmaking, something that I enjoy doing, has left me flat. After all, I have piles of cards, so why make more? Who am I gonna send them to? Sell them? Who's going to buy them? Am I making cards just so that I can post them at galleries and wait for people to leave a comment on them? How shallow is that? If I'm not stamping, then what should I blog about? And really, should I be blogging at all? What does it produce?

In the end, I am bored and listless and want to shout to the Lord "Lord, what am I doing here?"

I could really use a friend or two or three.

My husband has taken a week of vacation, and I'm terrified that he's going to stay at home all day and we're going to look at each other and wonder what we should be doing.

Today, I decided to make a card or two. I didn't have a reason, and I have no recipients in mind. I guess I just made them for me. And who knows. Maybe I'll figure out what to do with these piles of cards that are accumulating in my craft room.



{recipe: Fruitful Harvest stamp set (Gina K), Basic Grey Urban Prairie papers, oval punch, designer label punch, brad, basic black cardstock, versafine onyx ink}



{recipe: Botanicals stamp set (Gina K), Pure Luxury white cardstock, basic black cardstock, Versafine onyx ink, Tim Holtz mask, Glimmer Mist pearl, Amuse ribbon, Amuse rhinestone twinkles}

7 comments:

  1. I totally understand! I have been there before. Sometimes by "making" myself craft I push past it and other times I make it worse. I actually sold several cards this past week (and got many more compliments) at a ladies event at church. The money we raised at my booth went toward a ladies event we are doing at a shelter for women who are addicts and are getting help. On the 24th of this month we are going over there to have a card making event with them. Maybe there's something like that in your area that you could find and share your craft with them. Your cards are amazing and I love getting your updates! Your insight has caused me to stop and pause several times (and I am sorry I have never told you that). Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy your blog and cards and hope you continue to share.

    Your cards are lovely.

    I hope you get out of this funk soon...been there many times...it is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you sis. Big Time! A thought that came to mind is maybe you could send, or better yet, hand deliver them to someone who needs cheering up even more than you and me. Reaching out to someone in need can really put things in perspective and bring us out of our own little world. I love you. Maybe a sisters weekend SOON???!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally get the creative (and otherwise in life) funk, Mary Rose. I'm there with stamping fairly often myself. Don't have any real advice . . . I think as long as you enjoy doing it, you'll come back to it. If it stops bringing you joy, there's not much point - whether you send the cards to others or not.

    Hang in there - love your blog & cards :) .

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so nice when we are honest and open with each other because it makes the rest of us not feel so alone when we go through the same thing. I have been there quite often myself and to know that I am not alone is comforting. I seem to lose my creative funk quite often in the summer because there seems to be so many other things on the go and then when fall hits and things get back to "normal" I get so excited to create again. It seems to go in cycles for me depending upon what is happening in my life. Hang in there - I will pray for you and know that God is with you always. I love your blog and I gain much inspiration from your work as well as your words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, do I feel your pain! I know I'm blessed beyond measure, but I'm in such a pit. Trying to shovel out a scoop at a time. Missing lost friendships and praying for some new ones. I'll be praying for you, too. Thanks for sharing with us and being honest with your feelings.
    Kathy T
    ps love the cards

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stumbled onto your blog....and you know what,this is how I feel right now in my life too!!! I can blame it on having 5 kids at home and they are getting older,I'm getting older ;)...and life goes by!!!
    I wish I had something really cool to say,but alas,I don't!!! I guess everyone feels this way at some point!!!
    Oh,and I know exactly what you can do with your cards!!! Send them to the troops!!! You can find more info here : Operation Write Home.com
    Here is the Blog:
    http://www.owhstarsandstamps.org/

    You'll love it,and I'll make a deal with you....you pray for me and I'll pray for you....K???
    Stampin' Hugs your way!!!:)

    ReplyDelete