Saturday, October 30, 2010

Daniel's Window


I've been participating in a Chuck Swindoll study on the book of Daniel this fall. The Bible is filled with so many stories of God's faithful and God's flawed people. Daniel is a rock solid character, living far from home. He stands out because he is a man of spirit, influencing a culture that is not his own.

This week, we'll be reading the story of Daniel and the den of lions. I feel personally convicted by Daniel's character this month. Daniel had a disciplined prayer life, something that I struggle with daily. Too often, my prayers are on the fly. Like arrows shot into the sky, I send up prayers at random moments...when I hear an ambulance, at a stop light, when I'm washing dishes. I think these arrow prayers are pretty typical for mothers. But lately, I've been craving more.



Daniel 6: 10 says this : "Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before."

This verse really hit home for me. I decided to give this a try. Every morning, when the sun rises, I get down on my knees at this window in my bedroom that looks over the nature preserve. I watch the sun rise, I bow my head, and I approach the throne of grace.



It's been a good way to start my day. I think that there needs to be a Bible study on our posture before God. (Maybe someone else has already written one and I just haven't found it yet!) There is something powerful that happens when we get down on our knees and pray. I can feel good things happening, and I attribute it all to this new discipline. I haven't managed to get to my window three times a day, like Daniel. But my prayer life has definitely improved. I owe it all to Daniel.



I made this window card last night for my mother. Mom lives in a lovely red brick colonial with shutters and a calico cat that perches on her windowsills. I got to visit my childhood home last week, and the yard was so beautiful with the muted colors of fall.

Inside the card, I've included the quote from Charles Spurgeon: Faith goes up the stairs that love has made, and looks out the window that hope has opened. I love that sentiment. In a song from christian artist J.J. Heller, she sings "Hope means holding on to You. And grace means You're holding me, too."

I hope you're feeling that grace today. Blessings on your weekend!

{recipe: Window Dressing (SU), Everyday Flexible Phrases (SU), always artichoke cardstock, cajun craze cardstock, crumb cake cardstock, soft suede cardstock, versafine onyx ink, prisma markers, Tim Holtz Bricked Texture Fade, ribbon, scallop edge punch, glitter pen, micron pen for banner}

No comments:

Post a Comment