Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Harvest


I have been on a long journey this year, reading the Bible in a new and unique way. I am reading the Bible chronologically...not in the order that the books appear in the Bible, but rather in the order in which events unfolded. I am amazed at the change in my perspective. The story of God's people and His amazing plan of redemption has opened my eyes in new and fresh ways.

I have been deep in the prophets for the last few months, and I have to confess, the subject matter has been tough. Consequently, I am weeks behind in my reading, and find myself needing to double down now just to catch up. I feel deeply for these men of God in a new way. They saw horrifying visions of the future...conquest, captivity, and a life in exile. They spoke words of warning to a stiff-necked people. And yet, they also spoke words of comfort. And many also saw God's saving plan for His unfaithful people.

This week, I came upon this verse twice...in my daily reading as well as my weekly women's study. I'm not entirely certain why it has moved me so, but it has. Here it is:

"So the message of the Lord spoken through the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled. The land finally enjoyed its Sabbath rest, lying desolate until the seventy years were fulfilled, just as the prophet had said." 2 Chronicles 36:15-21

The imagery is so powerful. Jerusalem destroyed, the temple demolished, and the promised land is now a wasteland. But there is also hope. A Sabbath rest for the land, like a field that has been left fallow, will one day produce a rich harvest again. In seventy years, during the time of Daniel, the captives are released, and Jerusalem is restored. A king will sit on the throne whose reign will never end.

I am amazed at how God brings about His plans in perfect timing. I see His hand in the changing seasons, in the harvested fields and the falling leaves. And I can see His faithfulness and His patience with me. It's an epic story, and I am a part of it.



{sympathy card recipe:Autumn Days (SU), Print Pattern (SU), sentiment from Gina K, concord crush cs and ink, old olive cs and ink, cherry cobbler cs and ink, slot punch, ribbon}

{friend card recipe: Gina K stamps, Print Pattern (SU), French Script (SU), Itty Bitty Backgrounds (SU), concord crush cs and ink, old olive ink, cherry cobbler ink and cs, kraft and ivory cs, ribbon, oval punch, modern label punch, nailhead brad}

1 comment:

  1. Loved your blog post, particularly the last paragraph. :-)

    ReplyDelete