Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Colors of Autumn


I just love the colors of autumn. I love the look of the garden as it starts to wind down. The hues are muted, not showy, and the brighter colors stand out against a paler backdrop. I decided to go outside yesterday and take some photos in the garden.



Everything I ever learned about gardening was learned at the feet of my mother. Mom is a whimsical gardener. It's not about structure, it's about color palette. If Mom likes a plant or flower, she puts it in the ground and hopes for the best. If it thrives, great! If not, she'll just try something different next year. I, too, am a whimsical gardener.



Mom taught me that most folks stop watering their gardens too soon. Just because the days get cooler doesn't mean that you can stop watering. If you want the blooms to last until well into autumn, then you need to water them continually. Windy weather will dry out your plants in a hurry. In the fall, I wait to water until mid afternoon, when the temps are a bit warmer. I use water that's not too cold, and I give all the flowers a good soak at least two or three times a week.



Mom also taught me that if you're planting bulbs in the fall, don't space them far apart. Yes, ignore the directions on the flower bulb package! You want to cram those bulbs close together. When they bloom in the spring, you will have thick bouquets of tulips and daffodils, not spindly little flowers that are far from their neighbors and can't support themselves.




I made two cards yesterday for the Clean and Simple challenge. I think the muted colors of autumn make lovely sympathy cards.

{recipe #1: Close to Nature, Teeny Tiny Wishes (SU), kraft cardstock, Apple Cider paper, satin ribbon, punch, sticker brads}

{recipe #2: Seasons of Friendship, sentiment from Gina K, soft suede ink, more mustard ink, cajun craze ink, concord crush ink}

I'm off to Bible study this morning. I made some warm coffee cake to enjoy with Pastor and the ladies. Yum! Enjoy the blessings of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment