Friday, November 5, 2010

The Written Word


I know what you're thinking. When you, my bloggy friends, finish reading one of my posts, you've got to be asking yourself, "Man, does that girl talk as much as she writes?" To answer your question, "Yes. Yes, I do."

I heard Beth Moore say that what she lacks in knowledge she makes up for in volume. She's a loud talker, like me. This is a direct result of being the youngest of seven children, necessitating the need to ramp up the volume level in order to be heard. Add coffee to this equation, and I can talk at the speed of light. Add caffeine and a kitchen table full of women, and it is a deadly combination, a veritable weapon of mass destruction.

For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by the word, both spoken and written. It is why I am a voracious reader. It is the reason I studied both English and foreign languages in college. I love words.

For more than a dozen years now, I have been dabbling in freelance writing. I wrote features for newspapers, had a great gig as a part-time columnist, and had a few pieces published in magazines.

One writing goal has managed to elude me...the novel.

November is National Novel Writing Month...or NaNoWriMo, for short. You may have noticed the gadget to the right that I added this month. You can click on it for more information on this fun and frustrating pursuit. The goal is 50,000 words in thirty days. A lofty goal, but definitely attainable.

Today and tomorrow, I will be attending the Indy Christian Writer's Conference. I am so excited! There will be a slew of speakers...publishers, agents, literary reps, all speaking on the craft of writing. Jerry B. Jenkins, who co-wrote the Left Behind series, will be the keynote speaker.

This weekend, I plan on emptying my caffeine-riddled brain for a few days to let all of this secret knowledge seep in like a sponge. But before I do, I made one more card to share this week:




Apropos, n'est-ce pas?

{recipe: Puns from the Past (Stampin' Up), By Definition (SU), Wild Hearts (SU), basic black card stock, kiwi kiss card stock, versafine onyx ink, scallop square punch, button brads}

Blessings on your weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Have fun- can't wait to hear all about it. Nine words....hmm, i would never make it.

    Love- Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I miss the update on this? Highlights? Any books to recommend? How was the keynote speaker???

    I can hardly wait to hear what you think!
    Veda

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's me again... still going through your posts. This post reminded me of my husband... he's quite the talker, too! LOL!! He did write a book this year, but it's a business book and not the great American novel! But, his publicist also attended that conference you mentioned!! She has worked in the Christian publishing business for years, but now has her own business. As a former teacher, I used to dream of writing children's books but I doubt that will ever happen. Good luck with your writing endeavors.

    ReplyDelete