Friday, January 28, 2011

Having Fun with Color


Two weeks ago, I came home from work and my husband told me "I'm painting the guest room this weekend, so you better have a color picked out by tomorrow morning."

Aaack!

The room was in desperate need of some color. When we moved into this house three years ago, nearly every room was painted the same dingy white. We've managed to paint almost every room in the house. This little bedroom, however, still needed some attention.

Choosing color for a room is a lot like choosing colors for a papercrafting creation. First, I decide if I'm going to use designer papers, and then I pick colors from the paper for matching card stock. I employed this same method for our guest room. First, I picked out the bedding, and then found the paint color to match. (It's much harder to pick a paint color and then find bedding to match. See, I've learned a lot from all those hours watching HGTV!)

I knew I wanted new bedding...something cute and colorful, but with a country shabby cozy vibe. It had to be gender neutral because my boys use this room for playing Nintendo Wii. It had to be cute but not girly. And yet, my boys all have very masculine color schemes, so I wanted something totally light and fresh and feminine, too. Here it is!



Isn't this fun? It manages to be peaceful and colorful at the same time. The sky colored walls calm the fun and funky quilt.



I just love this quilt! It makes me smile! The eight-pointed star pattern says country, the cotton blossom fabric says cozy, and the colors say fun! I picked up this quilt (it's actually a full/queen size) for $20, and the matching sham for $6! Even the clerk at the big box store thought it was the deal of the day!



Somehow, the quilt picks up the sky blue, but it also brings in the funky mustard yellow of this vintage side table that belonged to my pastor's family when I was a girl.



The quilt even has the red color of my sons' beloved video game rocker. Sure, the thing is hideous, but somehow it works now. I'm happy and they are happy, too!




The next week, I got my new issue of Better Homes and Gardens. I couldn't believe it. All of the colors on the front cover were the colors in my new room. Look at that! I'm trendy! ha ha! Total for this room makeover was under $100, which includes paint, paint accessories, and bedding. Now that's Design on a Dime!

Today's card was inspired by the funky color scheme of my guest room.




{recipe for front: Pure Innocence stamps (MFT), soft sky and groovy guava card stock, groovy guava ribbon, Wilton paper doily heart, Cosmo Cricket Nutmeg paper, Prisma markers}

My sister, Jenny, asked how her room was coming. Well, Jenny and all other guests, the room is now open for business!

Happy Friday, friends!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE my new room! It is so adorable. Open for business, huh? You better be careful, you might just get what you ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That card is super cute, too. I bet little Valentine's Day cards would sell like hot cakes in town. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete