Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pottery Barn Baby Birdies


I received a Pottery Barn catalog in the mail. What a lovely breath of spring on a cold January day! I love to flip through catalogs for inspiration. The color palette of PB is always calm and serene, and the style is so natural and botanical. I was completely enamored with this robin pillow.

Robins are the official state bird of Michigan. Their return to the northern state has long been a herald of spring. However, here in central Indiana, where we're just a bit further south and a tad warmer, many robins tough it out for the winter. This morning, I had a few robins huddled on my front porch looking for a warm place to perch. Poor things!

I decided to make a robin-inspired card for a baby that was recently born in our congregation. The mother had been on bed rest for many weeks, and the baby girl was born a few weeks premature, but doing just fine nonetheless. I thought this non-traditional baby card was just the thing to say "Just wait, Mom and baby! Everything is in God's hands, and spring will soon be here!"



{recipe: Friends 24-7 (SU), Fancy Flexible Phrases (SU), sahara sand card base, Bella Birds paper (SU), pink pirouette ink and card stock, choc. chip ink, pink taffeta ribbon, modern label punch, pearl, edge distressing tool}

I decided to make the main focal point of the bird an un-matted image that floats above the card a bit. I also got this idea after seeing quite a lot of it in the Pottery Barn catalog. They showed a lot of prints that were unframed and lightly tacked to the wall. I really liked the look. It's not nearly as heavy as framed art, and it gives a lot of texture to a wall. You can see a bit of it here just above the headboard:



I hope your day is filled with inspiration. Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet baby card! Love the non-traditional image. Definately no robins here in Michigan today...send them my way! (Wouldn't you love to retire to that beautiful bedroom every evening?) Thanks for sharing your beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete