Monday, January 10, 2011

Winter Landscape


This year, I couldn't wait to get the Christmas decorations taken down. I think I must have gotten the tree and various Christmas doodads out the weekend after Thanksgiving because I knew that I was going to have holiday visitors soon. Needless to say, by New Year's Day I was so over the stuff! Everything felt dusty and cluttered.

After de-cluttering and cleaning, it felt like the corner of the family room where the tree had stood looked a little sad and empty. Last year, I'd purchased a distressed black corner shelf to put there. But it just didn't fit. It felt like a tchoctke (spelling?) shelf, and I wanted a more clean and uncluttered look.

I decided to decorate for the winter season. I pulled out a few favorite snowmen. I swapped out my colored Longaberger pottery for my white pottery. Finally, I grouped a few tall birch tree branches into a distressed barrel in the corner. I love the effect! Somehow, it manages to bring the winter landscape indoors.



Today's card was inspired by my new winter landscape. I hear we'll be getting some snow tonight. Maybe Maggie and I will take a walk in the winter woods tomorrow!

{recipe: birch trees and sentiment from Mark's Finest Papers, snowflake stamps from SU, sahara sand card stock and ink, basic gray card stock, Flower Soft (artic white), distressing tool, A muse twinkle}

And here's the sentiment inside the card:


Thanks for visiting today, friends!

4 comments:

  1. Your family room is beautiful! Great idea to decorate for winter. Winter can be long and dark and you have brightened & freshened it up. Beautiful, clean card. Enjoy the fresh snow. We are only getting a little bit, darn! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so sisters...I just used the word "doodads" in a comment I was leaving...LOL...funny little Thompson word? Do others out there use it? Your card AND house induce a quiet winter walk kinda feel. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary Rose, George is here and we're playing. Trying to learn how to send a comment. Love you. have a great day xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete