Thursday, March 17, 2011

Inspired by Beatrix Potter


Last week, I found one of my favorite movies for only $5 and knew I had to bring it home with me. If you've never had a chance to watch this movie, then you need to go to your local library and find a copy. (Are there any video stores still open? They've all closed in my town!)

Miss Potter is one of those wonderful movies that are very rare in Hollywood...no sex, no violence, no profanity. Just a lovely story that unfolds in the sweetest way. It's the story of Beatrix Potter, one of the most loved children's authors of all time. You will love the way that her charming illustrations are rendered in this film. (I love the houses in the movie! Talk about your beautiful wallpapers! Turn-of-the-century England never looked better!)



I have been a fan of Potter's work since I was a child. That much loved copy of the Tailor of Gloucester is one of the relics of my childhood. It sits on a pile of other Potter books that we've collected over the years. There was something so precious about those little books that fit into the palm of little hands.



When I was studying French in college, a sweet young man gave me a copy of Peter Rabbit en francais. Ladies and gentlemen, I married that sweet young man! The book is now a treasured part of our family library.

Today's card was inspired by Beatrix Potter. I thought this image from Stampin Up was very reminiscent of Peter himself. I used the Clean and Simple challenge on SCS to take an image "out of the box". This stamp does not have a box outline. Instead, I used my Pigma Micron fine point marker to draw a box around the image. It's very easy to do if you don't try to make straight lines. I decided that the bird and basket handle would look very sweet "out of the box", so I left them out and carefully cut around them.



{recipe: Serene Spring (SU),sentiment tag from SU, baja breeze card stock and seam binding, white card stock, Sweet Slumber specialty paper (SU), lace doily edge punch(SU), Pigma Micron marker, Prisma markers}

This little rabbit card is going to Shirley Ann, who loves bunnies as much as I do. You should see the life-size gardening Peter Rabbit that graces her home. It's amazing!

Spring is making a sunny appearance today. Enjoy it!

3 comments:

  1. I checked and Miss Potter is not available through Netflix. I can get any of those violent, sex-filled movies...darn it. I'm off to the library or TJ's because you got us wanting to watch it again. Sweet post...love your Beatrix inspired card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet card...Oh how it makes me dream of spring! Love your box...would have guessed the stamp came with it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, sweet bunny card. Makes me smile. Thank you too for leaving such a nice comment today on my Love Bird Cage card. I really appreciate that. I took a few minutes to look at your blog and enjoyed it. I see that your son is a student at Ball State....my cousins husband is a professor there....Professor Groom. Our son graduated from Indiana University/Bloomington so we have made the trek out to Indiana several times from Connecticut. Thanks again for the nice comment.

    kerry2 on SCS

    ReplyDelete