Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Domestic Coffee Break




Time for a tutorial!

Allistamps at Splitcoast Stampers had asked me how I made my scallop edge on the daisy friend card. I thought it would make a nice tutorial. This technique is an oldie but a goodie! Five years ago, when all things scalloped became the latest craze, Stampin' Up showed us how to make our own scalloped edges using the slit punch. This was way before SU had introduced the scalloped circles, ovals, squares and edge punches.



Using a strip of card stock, you turn the punch upside down to see the line that you are punching. Each "slit" makes a half circle. Carefully punch the slits side by side, as you can see here:


When you are finished, you'll have something that looks like this:




It may be a little more work than punching once with the new scallop edge punch, but it does give a nice effect. Sadly, SU no longer sells this punch. I haven't looked around, but I'd be willing to bet that you can find something similar in craft stores. If not, then the Buy/Sell/Trade forums on Splitcoast Stampers would be a good place to find one.It's a larger scallop than the new edge punches, and it makes a really cute awning effect, as I've used it on today's card!



In my pursuit for all things frugal, I decided to make a card that resembled the new line from Stampin' Up called Domestic Goddess. I really liked this new paper line, and the new small gingham stamp is too cute. So here's how I improvised:

1.) Why buy background papers when you can stamp your own? For this card, I used an old Checkerboard background stamp in groovy guava, and a Wild Hearts background stamp in basic gray.

2.) The new 2011-2012 In Colors are really pretty, but I do have inks and papers that are very similar. Today, I used Groovy Guava and Cool Caribbean!

3.) In the "Use What You've Got" category, I used a button and some stitched grosgrain ribbon from my stash.

4.) For me, nothing says "domestic bliss" like my coffee stamps. This old set hasn't seen ink lately, so I thought it'd be a nice change.

{recipe: all products from SU! include Espress Yourself stamp set, Wild Hearts background stamp, Checkerboard background stamp, Cool Caribbean card stock, groovy guava ink/card stock, stitched grosgrain ribbon, basic gray card stock and ink, slit punch, button, stampin dimensionals}

FRUGAL TREND CONTINUES

That was the headline in a news article from yesterday's paper. According to the report, Americans are still pinching pennies. No surprise there! Statistics showed the following ways that more folks are saving money:

*Buying generic drugs whenever possible

*Getting their hair cut and styled less frequently (Yep! Cut my own bangs yesterday, and someone complimented me on my new do that night. ha ha!)

*Cancelling magazine subscriptions (Me too! I only have two...a gift subscription to Better Homes and Gardens from Mom and a Midwest Living subscription that cost $5 for the year. I won't be renewing!)

*Cut back on dry cleaning (I try hard not to buy any clothes that needs dry cleaning! I now wash and iron all my husbands shirts, and we use our steamer to refresh his suits between dry cleanings)

*Car pooling and using mass transit

All of these categories showed increases from two years ago.

You know what this means? Frugal is fashionable! So, how have you cut back recently?

2 comments:

  1. I am loving reading your frugal posts...a little convicting I must say. You have taken a temptation (new SU Catalog) and used it as inspiration in your in stash instead KUDOS! We are in the process of eliminating several monthly subscriptions that can really add up and I am committed to sticking to a craft budget...starting NEXT month hahaha no seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no "team" in FRUGAL...only U!
    LMAO!

    Lots of Love.

    ReplyDelete