Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hot, Hot, Hot


Hot.

Really, is there anything else to talk about in high summer?

It's hard to escape from it. This morning, I took Sam to see a $1 movie at the theaters. I thought a few hours in the air conditioning with popcorn sounded like a good way to entertain a seven-year old.

While Sam and his buddies played in the cool basement this afternoon, I worked on my summer sampler. I like to stitch in the summer. In the nice weather, I'll sit on my front porch stitching and waving at the neighbors who pass by.



I'm hoping to finish this sampler before summer's end. And when it is done, it will have trees, a cute birdie button, and a summer sunflower banner.

When I'm not stitching, I'm watering the garden, trying to keep my flowers alive. We haven't had rain for days, and the grass is starting to get crispy. I try to go out in the evenings, when the sun has set and the plants can keep the moisture without too much evaporation.



Have you ever seen a more beautiful bowl of lettuce? Shirley Ann, my father-in-law's wife, brought me this gift of greens over the weekend. I would say thank you, but then it won't grow. (Old German superstitions die hard!) I'm trying to keep it well watered in this heat, lest it become a bowl of wilted lettuce.

Stay cool and don't wilt, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment