Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Repurposed Storage Solutions



I don't know about you, but with the windows closed and the air conditioner running 24/7, my house is starting to smell a little musty. I wish I could open some windows and get some cool breezes blowing through this house, but cool breezes are hard to come by these days.

My solution? Candles! Target is selling some really lovely soy candles right now. My sister gave me one for my birthday, and then my step mom-in-law gave me another. I've burned through both of them in the last few months, and decided to pick up a few more this week.



Not only is the jar shape just adorable, but each candle comes with a really nice lid that has a rubber seal. Normally, I would save these empty jars and give them to my sister, Jenny. She often pours her own candles, and reusing old candle jars is the perfect solution. But these jars were just too cute to part with, so I washed them up and I'm using them for storage in my craft studio.



Isn't this adorable? It looks like something you would find at an Archivers store. This jar was the perfect size for holding my baker's twine from Mark's Finest Papers. I'll use the other jars for holding buttons and brads and other odds and ends. Functional and fun at the same time!

If you would like to repurpose old candle jars, here are a few tips:

*To remove the leftover wax, stick the jar in the freezer for an hour. Set your timer so you don't forget it!

*The frozen wax will chip easily using a butter knife. Remove the chippy chunks and toss them in the garbage.

*The wick and it's little metal saucer are usually glued to the bottom. With a little help from the butter knife, you can usually pry these out.

*Scrape all the wax residue from inside the jar using the knife. Wipe down with a paper towel.

*Soak the jar in hot soapy water, give it a nice scrub and remove the labels. Once it's dry, it is ready for use.

My sister would caution everyone not to allow any wax to go down your drains, as it can congeal and clog your pipes. This is especially true of your wax petroleum based candles. Another good reason to go with soy...good for the environment, and good for American farmers!

Today I am burning a lovely Mint Basil soy candle. It smells like a cool drink on a hot day. Hmm, I think I'll go pour a cool drink now.

Blessings on your day!

5 comments:

  1. Love this idea. I've been following your frugal ideas and love all of them. My mom tried repurposing a Yankee candle jar once but made the mistake of using it to put wrapped candy in it. Yucky. The candle smell was lovely but never left the jar. ;) LorieR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorie, that is so funny! Hey, maybe my baker's twine will take on the fragrance of Pure Vanilla! Scented cards...perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete