Friday, September 9, 2011

Walking with God


A few weeks back, when the boys started going off to school, I realized that my mornings were in a rut. It started the same way...coffee, the newspaper, the computer, the craft room. It never felt productive.

I just wished there was something more.

And then God whispered to me "You know, there is a beautiful paved walking trail right in your backyard. Why don't you go walking with me?"

Ugh. Exercise? Must I? Okay God, but just this once. I don't want to make this sweaty thing a regular part of my day, so don't get your hopes up.

I strapped on my tennis shoes and went for a walk. And the truth is, I haven't been the same since. I can't miss my morning walks with God for more than a day now. I am hooked.

So, would you like to go walking with God and me today? Great! Get your tennis shoes and we'll get started!


As we head to the trail, we're greeted by this amazing row of sunflowers on the hill. Did I mention the hills? Yes, this walk won't be easy. But God promises us that with him, all things are possible, not easy.



At the trail head, the fragrance of fields of flowers is so powerful! It reminds me of 2 Corinthians 2:15 that says "For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing."

And then I remembered something. Didn't I make a resolution back in January to spend the year walking with Jesus? Finally, I am making that happen! Doesn't it feel good?


Lots of goldenrod. I hope you took your seasonal allergy medicine!


So many beautiful varieties of flowers. God, I wish my garden looked this nice! And God says "You can work on that next year. This year, let's concentrate on growing you instead." :)


This is the part where the trail curves and follows the creek. You can hear the birds singing now. And if you look closely through the trees, you might even spot a blue heron at the water's edge.



Somewhere beyond those trees is my house. I can't see it now, but in about six weeks, after the leaves have fallen, I will see the house on top of the hill.


Speaking of leaves, God shows me a colorful carpet of fallen leaves. He reminds me that seasons change, and we change, but He never changes. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. His promises are eternal. I can try to fight the change, or I can look around and see something new and amazing!




We've reached the bridge now. Time to take a peek into the waters.



I look down at the churning waters, and I am reminded of how life can sometimes be like that...rocky and swiftly moving and mercurial. God tells me not to look down, but look up! There are still waters just ahead.



Let's keep walking. There's more to see!



One lone red tree in this golden field. It really stands out. I recall the verse from Romans 12:2: "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." I want to stand out, just like this red tree.



More lovely flowers and grasses on the trail ahead. So many different colors and textures and patterns! I am blown away by the tiny microcosms of nature, each so unique and perfectly planted.


You are feeling the burn now, aren't you? Yep, me too. I'm even getting a little winded. But get ready. We are at the two mile mark, and there are two killer hills up ahead. Remember Philippians 4:13 says that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. We're getting stronger with every step!



At the top of the hill is a grove of trees. It's dark in there, and you can't always see where the trail leads. But you can trust that there will be a clearing, and you will see the plan. In the meantime, we will enjoy this cool shade for a moment as we catch our breaths.

We've made it through the hardest parts! Congratulations! The rest of the walk is smooth and even. And if we follow God's leading, He always leads us home.

Thanks for walking with me and with God today!

No comments:

Post a Comment