Friday, November 11, 2011

The First Sighting


I still feel a little thrill at the sight of the first snow. Silly, isn't it? The flurries fluttered in on a cold wind yesterday, and I had to call my son, John, to tell him the news. John loves winter, the snowier the better. He likes to snowboard, shovel, and build snow forts and snow men for his little brother.



The snow reminded me of an unfinished punch needle project that still needs to be completed. I haven't done punch needle in quite a while, and it was fun to get back into this craft today.



It always looks odd when you are working from the backside of the project. But when you flip it over, you can get an idea of what the finished product will look like:



I think I know why I put this project aside. I just had one color left to do. The brick color (weeks dye works) makes up the background for this mitten. Unlike cross stitch, punch needle uses a LOT of floss, making little loops similar to hooked rugs. You work three-ply strands at a time, and the floss disappears in a hurry!

I'll be shopping for a new winter coat for Sam this weekend. He put his old coat on yesterday, and the sleeves were about two inches too short. He has grown so much! Time for winter coats and flannel sheets, fires in the fireplace and hot cocoa with marshmallows.

Stay warm, friends!

1 comment:

  1. Right after we talked on the phone...I went outside and we had flurries too! No accumulation, but like you, my heart picked up its pace and I started singing Let it Snow...Let it Snow...Let it Snow!

    ReplyDelete