Thursday, November 10, 2011

Reverse Applique

Heather Nichols at Papertrey Ink had a really cool technique video tutorial this week.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a techniquey kinda gal!

But I watched the video and I was charmed by Heather's adorable Northern accent (to which I can totally relate, yah, dontcha know?), and so I decided to give it a try. After all, Heather used the word "putzy" in her dialogue, and when someone adds a new word to my vocabulary, then I must comply!

Heather used a sewing machine, but I'd rather go to the dentist than drag out my cumbersome thing and find a flat surface to put it on. Nope! Not gonna do it! I used good old fashioned needle and DMC floss instead.

I'm not one hundred percent sold on my choice of black floss, but oh well, the deed is done. So I went to photograph the card, propped it outdoors on the hand rail of the deck, and a strong gusty autumnal wind blew it right smack onto the deck, face down. Of course, it got smudged. (Insert Charlie Brown's "AAAAARGH!" here.) Schmutz! I hate schmutz! I had to take the card back inside and add black smudging/sponging to the edges to cover said boo boo. Not too happy with the black smudging either, but the deed is done once again.

Let's not accentuate the negative. I've been travelling down that road for too long, and we know that it does not lead to a happy place of prancing ponies and rainbows and ice cream. No, it does not!

Let's accentuate the positive! Here's what I do love about the card:
*The Loverly papers from Crate Paper's Random line, with matchy matchy button!
*The floral paper that says "I look like your Tante Mimi's house and admit it, you want me in your house, too!"
*The fact that I stacked these colored cups in a red-yellow-green stoplight fashion only dawned on me later. Cool!
*The card got me stitching, and that's always fun!

So there it is. A card that is neither clean (literally, thanks to schmutz!) nor simple. I think I need a cup of tea.

Blessings on your Friday!



4 comments:

  1. Phew! I'm exhausted just reading about the process...my head hurts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty card and I love the hand stitching. It's perfect with your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute card Mary Rose (one word or two), I love the tea cups! Love your hand stitching too . Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marybeth -you spelled her name correctly. It's Mary Rose.
    Mary, I love the card. I'm with Jenny, crafting is hard. Let's go shopping ;-)

    ReplyDelete